Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Downshifter challenge for March  (Read 14926 times)

carole h

• Joined Jan 2009
Downshifter challenge for March
« on: February 28, 2009, 08:02:12 pm »
I came across the following idea whilst I was browsing through "downshifting" websites - get rid of 100 things during March.
The general idea is to get rid of (preferable by recycling) 100 "things" that you don't need/want - spring cleaning with a new name, I suppose!
I put the idea to people at work, and 10 of us are going to give it a go ... challenge each other to do it! We've all put £1 into a pot, and the one who gets rid of most gets the cash - an added incentive to free up my mind and space a bit!
I'm a member of Freecycle, so I guess I'd better get posting...

HappyHippy

Re: Downshifter challenge for March
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 08:19:29 pm »
If one CD counts as one item then I've done it all in one after dinner sitting, having just reorganised the family collection of CD's & DVD's !
That said, I'm not strictly getting rid of them - but I am recycling them, into bird scarers, clocks, wall hangings and anything else I come up with in between times - I feel a crafting session coming on  ;D
It's a great idea though - just to get me started, does anyone want 2 kids and a husband ?  :o

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 09:53:36 am »
I've been trying to get rid of 1 thing each day for a while, but I'm lucky if I manage 1 a week at the moment, that's with giving things to charity shops, the school, friends, freecycle... There still doesn't seem to be less "stuff" in the house! My own personal challenge is paper - with 1 coming in each day, there is always more in there I eventually want to get round to reading than I can keep up with.
HappyH., how about a family swap, lol? :&>

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 02:31:50 pm »
hehe i ike this challenge :0

i try to get ride of stuff at least one a month, quite a lot get recycle or given way or even sold so am not doing to bad
linz

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 04:45:16 pm »
Northfifeduckling - family swap sounds interesting, but I really couldn't inflict that on you ! My youngest is the devil incarnate (yes, REALLY) it's all to do with the red hair and Xmas day birthday she looks so cute but don't be fooled !  :o

On the subject of newspaper, have you thought about using it to make decomposable plant pots for seeds ? Also Argos sell a thing for making paper into firelogs - maybe that would be of use
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0710826/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CGarden+and+DIY%7C12107492/Trail/searchtext%3ENEWSPAPER.htm
or you could shred it and add it to the compost heap or use it for animal bedding?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 05:25:29 pm »
Yes, I was just thinking of turning some of it into bedding for our ducks (different thread), after watching "It's not easy being green". I tried the log maker years ago and found it a bit messy and they only dried well in really hot weather. But if I find it in the shed, will give it another go. I collected lots of cardboard to cover weedy areas instead of using carpet (that wasn't good at all, as the carpet disintegrated and years later I still have to pick up the bits). At least card and paper can be worked in and hopefully the couchgrass is dead after!!!! :&>

Rumpleteazer

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 02:11:24 pm »
I collected lots of cardboard to cover weedy areas instead of using carpet

Hey, that's a great idea - I've got loads in the garage and I was seriously considering buying loads of weed membrane to try and kill off the nettles around my fruit bushes!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 02:17:39 pm »
make sure you cover it with grass cut or soil or it will fly off...Nettles and couch grass will probably still have to be dug over to get rid of the roots, but it should be quite a bit easier without the greenery. Let us know how you are getting on with it! :&>

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 08:57:35 am »
2 bags of clothes are leaving today! 1 to the school's rag bag collection, one to a friend with a younger child than mine. Also a bag with girl's magazines. Yesterday I rehomed my girls dollies' pram. Not bad for half a week. As a new year's resolution I promised myself not to buy any more books before the pile in front of the shelf has been read and is gone. So far I managed and it is really interesting what good reads I find at the bottom of the pile. My youngest asked if we could have a TOTAL clearout. I told her that the best way to avoid clutter is not to buy any more "stuff" lol. Why is it though that everybody wants to start with my things instead of going through their own??? :&>

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 09:21:15 am »
hehe i can start this now as the kitchen fitters have gone, also waitting for the coucil to drop off the new blue wheelie bin as i have pile of cartons to put in it also have a pile of rubbish to take to tip in the front garden. This will be at the weekend as we are getting a new van for the business venture :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 09:30:26 am by Fluffywelshsheep »

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 09:45:14 am »
In a moment of madness  ::) I decided it would be worth going through the kids wardrobes & clearing them out ! After 4 hours I had 4 bin bags ! Admittedly 2 will be kept for the wee one to grow into - but I've got 1 for ebay and 1 for the charity shop, it's a start  ;D Hubby's wardrobe is next, he's got more clothes & shoes than me so it'll be quite a task  :o
Then it's off to the garage to the tower of bread baskets with all the stuff I looked out for a car boot last year & never actually got round to doing ! Think once that's done I'll have managed the challenge no problem ! ;D

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 11:03:16 am »
hehe allready did the wardrobe clear out am on the kitchen clear out before i put stuff back in the kitchen am checkign tosee when it last got use and if we need it now

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 10:04:11 pm »
I took the challenge when I moved down here at end of April, but still have a cupboard full of stuff intended for Ebay but not got as far as being weighed for postage yet.  Might give that a go this weekend.  Thanks for the motivation!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

carole h

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 06:43:07 pm »
I'm up to 20 to date! Not quite on target for 100 by the end of the month, but I have been quite strict with myself ...eg. only counting bags of clothes rather than individual items...feeling good about the steadily reducing clutter, though!
I'm hoping to do a car boot before the end of the month - that'll definitely help!

carole h

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 07:25:14 pm »
Just managed to sell 6 CD's on www.musicmagpie.co.uk - definitely going to add that to my list!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS