Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Downshifter challenge for March  (Read 14919 times)

carole h

• Joined Jan 2009
Re: Downshifter challenge for March
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2009, 07:00:08 pm »
Glad you got music magpie working OK Linz - you are putting me to shame with the number of things you are moving on (in whatever way suits you!). I think I will do a car boot soon ... and I did "recycle" 3 boy chooks yesterday - two for the pot and one to a new home! I'm certainly counting them on my list.
Hope the morning sickness is a bit better.
Carole

Wellieboots

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2009, 08:35:41 am »
your not wrong about some of the prices that the "charidie" shops sell things for. I'm a great believer in "going skipping" as I've found some fab & groovy stuff that way. I recently got around a dozen huge office plants that had been chucked out due to closing down. Wasn't looking at the time, just driving out of Glasgow & saw this skip full of greenery, so pulled over, spoke to the first person to come & dump some more stuff if it was ok to take the plants & then had to shoehorn them into me car for a drive back up to Perthshire! 3 huge yukkas, 4 humungous devil's ivy, 4 things wot I dunno yet & a 6 ft uber spikey cactus!

sandy

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2009, 09:04:52 am »
I get more excited about getting used stuff than going shopping for new stuff, my house is furnished with loads of either free things or used items from E Bay or charity shops, one of the best charity shops for furnishings and large stuff is the Salvation Army shop in Glasgow, Dumbarton Road, they are not over priced at all. I used to go a lot as I worked in that area of Glasgow, I used another shop as well but one day it was pouring with rain so I decided not to drop by in my dinner break, the owner got Knee Capped and the place was swarming with police and customs and excise etc, just missed that bit of excitement. I do agree that many charity shops charge too much for clothing especially small items like tops, tee shirts etc, there are enough places to buy new ones cheaper, anyway, today  I may go out to see what I can find!!!!!  Maybe one day I will have to down size (my house and my body) :-\

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2009, 09:33:57 am »
lol amazed at how the shop excite in Alloa alone their was 8 in total but some off the smaller one have gone (about 3). So alloa town centre still have 5 charity shops. i only really go in to two of them as they are causes closed to my heart the Sence shop good price and the Marie Currie  charity shop.

Their is the other charity shop next to the bus stop but don't really go in that direct at all.

Did shop in Barnardos but heard some bad thing religions wise so don't really shop in there.

edit btw forgot about salvation army which recently opened so that 6 charity shop in the small town of alloa

« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 09:16:40 am by Fluffywelshsheep »

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2009, 04:36:47 pm »
Joined in a bit late for a March clearout - but totally inspired at this thread!  Good going!

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2009, 09:15:18 am »
okay freecycled a pink waldrobe and chest of draws and something things which where pink to a couple of freecycle, Also creating a pile of no collect for charity and also a pile of stuff for the bin (which is no good to man nor beast). most get some more thins on the ebay, also waiting for the Magic magpie lables to arrive so i can parcell these cd off

carole h

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2009, 06:36:51 pm »
I off-loaded another stack of gardening mags on freecycle today - and gave the couple who came to collect them a whole load of surplus plants! Shifted a big bag of rubbish from the poly at long last ... and re-used some scaffold planks to make a raised bed. Still ony up to the 40 out of 100 point ... must try harder!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS