Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The 'O' Kits  (Read 3687 times)

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
The 'O' Kits
« on: October 02, 2011, 10:14:09 am »
Well yesterday we visited 3 four month old kittens Octavia, Ophelia and Odette (the 'O' Kits). They are lovely and only semi feral as they will allow you to fuss and pick them up (On their terms of course). It is strange seeing them next to domestic style cats as they are leaner and more athletic.

They will be coming to live with us in a couple of weeks time and work on the farm after a settle period.

I only went for 1 maybe 2 but OH fell in love with all 3 so 3 it will be. Today we are shopping for kitty things to enrice whilst they are in the tack room for their adjusting period.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: The 'O' Kits
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 12:25:06 pm »
Oooh lovely!  Pictures as soon as you can, please  ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 02:05:53 pm »
These are the photos from the homing centre

Meet Odette, Octavia and Ophelia (top to bottom)

and we have just had a call from the homing centre and they will arrive on the 12th which just happens to be my birthday
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 02:30:01 pm by ellisr »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 03:04:09 pm »
What a wonderful birthday present! They are lovely. :cat: :cat: :cat:

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 03:09:20 pm »
I have never had cats before so it should be fun. We have just stocked up on food and toys as they will have to be in a while. Ophelia has a sticky eye just now so has to wait a week anyway for the vet to give her the all clear and Octavia had a hurnia op so has to have her stitches out on tuesday. The only one that is really friendly is Ophelia the other 2 tolerate humans but don't want to be touched or picked up and that is fine as they are farm cats

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 06:20:59 pm »
They look lovely. I am sure you will enjoy them and what a great day for them to arrive.

Happy birthday for 12th

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 08:20:16 pm »
Ophelia does look like a wee sweetie. The others will come round. Our two big boys were stable cats and skedaddled when we went to see them - now they are soooo affectionate.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 09:09:59 pm »
well they are only 4 and a half months old so anything is possible. I'm sure they will come around as we have t keep them in a little bit so they will get used to us going in and feeding them and you never know they may say thankyou. I have a feeling that Ophelia will end up in the house most of the time as she came running to OH on his second visit and is a bit of a floosy around him.
OH has a strange way with animals and they seem to be attracted to him and do what he wants even Octavia jumped up for a cuddle but wouldn't come to anyone else, she did hiss when she was wanting to go but no aggresion so that is a good sign.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 10:33:03 pm »
Oh I just love kittens' faces.  All ears and eyes and teeny little nose.

Fantastic birthday present for you, you will not be needing any other entertainment for a while with 3 kitties to watch!  :cat: :cat: :cat:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 08:06:35 pm »
they're lovely - not surprised you're having all three!
what a great birthday present :)
Little Blue

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 11:17:10 am »
They are beautiful.  :)

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 12:07:28 pm »
Well I think I have everything sorted now, all of the food toys litter tray  (except for the bedding which I am still making)

I am concidering making a small run that attaches to the tack room this weekend so that they can go out if they want to whilst they are having a few weeks in confinement

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 08:50:15 pm »
They look lovely I really hope that you enjoy them.

As a new owner of feral/ pet farm cats.  I have found them really facinating. Having said that I find all animal behaviour facinating but the process of taming Toby the kitten has been a great learning experience for both of us.

I have discovered that one of the bigest differences between cats and dogs is that living as a pack, dogs are pretty much up for anything at any time. As they resond to a leader then they are happy to eat, sleep, play, be stroaked or go for a walk at pretty much any time of day or night

Cats, I now understand, are not.

After observing my tiny tigers I found that they go through a cycle where eating, sleeping, grooming, playing and hunting all have a place. The experienced cat owners will know this already of course but it has made taming my feral kitten even more challenging and interesting for me as my approach to training has to change depending on the time of day.

I hope that you can win over your two shy kittens. It makes medicating and trips to the vet so much easier
and has the added bonus of extra kitten cuddle time :cat: purrr....

Buffy

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 09:36:19 pm »
Oh bless they are lovely, cant wait to see some pictures when you get them home  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS