Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: winter planting outdoors?  (Read 2955 times)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
winter planting outdoors?
« on: September 23, 2011, 06:39:15 pm »
I don't have a polytunnel but wondered what, if anything, folk were planting to overwinter?

I've a bed nearly free and was just going to dig and manure it, but thought I'd ask first..  I have plenty of veg still growing, some of which will cope over winter but I'm just thinking about whether there are any earlies it's worth starting from scratch now?
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
Re: winter planting outdoors?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 10:55:49 pm »
Just bunged in 100 overwintering Japanese onions  ....type electric
 Four days ago I  sowed a small tub each of dwarf curly kale . over wintering cabbages , lettuces .
Also some chinese winter raddishes in a small box .
 I cling filmed the  containers , bunged then in the airing cupboard .. they sprouted yesterday so I put them on the north window sill in the house and removed the cling film .

I reckon with this warm weather  I'll be able to carefully prick them out and bung them into some black poly covered warming up soil by Wednesday next week .

You can also sow peas , broad beand and some types of late /early carrot ( well worth a chance )

Depending where you are located depends on your chances of success.

"allotment.org.uk   " has a monthly listing of likely crops to sow etc ..you may find it useful to look back over the last month and forward a few.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 09:50:37 pm by Plantoid »
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 12:01:25 am »
Thank you for the www.allotment.org.uk link plantoid.  They have a wonderful plum cake recipe which I will be making tomorrow with golden gages  :yum: :)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 11:56:59 pm »
This had inspired me to get more out of my garden this year.  thank you.  ;D :goat:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 10:15:21 am »
garlic goes in now, as do japanese overwintering onions as above.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 02:37:19 pm »
You might find less bolting of garlic if you try and guess out the first frost , then plant  the day after if it has broken .

Most of the big suppliers  of bulbs seem to indicate the start  of Oct to end of Nov for it.
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 08:29:29 am »
I don't have a polytunnel but wondered what, if anything, folk were planting to overwinter?

I've a bed nearly free and was just going to dig and manure it, but thought I'd ask first..  I have plenty of veg still growing, some of which will cope over winter but I'm just thinking about whether there are any earlies it's worth starting from scratch now?
You can grow in a box with perspects over it this will act like a polytunnel   Help get your seedlings off to an early start for spring

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS