Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Meg is nested and done! Now with pics & videos of the birth and first moments  (Read 20183 times)

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
Re: Meg is nesting... Nested and done! Now with pics & video
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2011, 03:46:21 pm »
Absolutely loved the pictures Sally, sooooooo cute, and they have doubled in size already! Thanks for sharing them :bouquet:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2011, 05:04:28 pm »
Oh, they are so lovely  ;D Meg-Pig is a very beautiful girl too, I love her spots  :)

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2011, 05:37:47 pm »
How beautiful the little family is.  Their house looks so cosy.  :)

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2011, 05:40:03 pm »
They are gorgeous - congratulations to all.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2011, 08:01:29 pm »
 :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: to Meg and Mum and the new arrivals - they're gorgeous  :wave:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2011, 08:06:07 pm »
They are lovely  :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig:  :thumbsup:

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2011, 08:24:17 pm »
I'm so pleased it all went so well - and at such a civiised time of day, too. Congratulations to you all! Ooooh, I do love a happy ending!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2011, 08:58:58 pm »
congratulations to you and Meg, they are delightful!
:pig:
Little Blue

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2011, 05:16:03 am »
Congratulations and very well done  :love: :pig: :pig: :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2011, 09:34:44 am »
Thanks for all the good wishes folks  :wave:

I've struggled but finally have managed to upload a couple of short videos to Facebook.

First piglet is born:
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf#!/photo.php?v=246463668732808

Meg meets her first baby:
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf#!/photo.php?v=246332682079240&set=vb.100001075290984&type=2&permPage=1

Modified - please try the links again
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 12:22:51 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Meg is nested and done! Now with pics & videos of the birth and first moments
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2011, 11:00:38 am »
Won't let me see them  :-\

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
Re: Meg is nested and done! Now with pics & videos of the birth and first moments
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2011, 12:54:50 pm »
Folks, I've edited the links to the videos, please try again.

Some of you have sent friend requests on Facebook - please send me a note to tell me who you are if it's not obvious!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2011, 01:17:00 pm »
Glad everything went so well - congratulations. Next time it should be a lot more relaxed - for both of you.

One thing: noticed your comment "I also felt gently with a finger - nothing to feel."

Well, it would take a lot more than a finger to feel if anything was still in the pipeline, so to speak - the two uterine horns can be the length of your arm (2-3ft), so you would need to be in as far as your armpit in order to make sure there was nothing else in there! It's not an easy job, I can tell you! Lambing is child's play compared to helping with a difficult farrowing.

Hopefully your next farrowing will be as straightforward as this one, but something to bear in mind for the future. Enjoy watching your piglets (be warned that you will waste LOTS of time over the coming weeks!)

Liz x
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2011, 01:35:06 pm »
Thanks Liz.  What I actually said was
I also felt gently with a finger - nothing to feel.  So I've come back in to get hot soapy water etc.  (I already had lube with me but by now want to wash my hands before going in.)

because I didn't want to put more than a finger in without getting washed.

As it happened she'd finished when I got back anyway.

Thanks anyway

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2011, 02:08:15 pm »
Ah, that explains it. Just thought some readers might underestimate the length of arm needed for a full examination! Really glad it all went well for you.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS