Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Meg is nested and done! Now with pics & videos of the birth and first moments  (Read 20180 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Oh, goodness, it's so exciting!  Meg's eaten almost all the straw I gave her and is collecting as much dried dead dock stick as she can, bless her.  I have given her a bit more straw but clearly dry dead dock sticks is what she wants...  ::)

Udder large and hardening, still no milk yet.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 09:35:50 am by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: Meg is nesting...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 09:28:24 am »
How exciting!  Let us know how you ...and Meg ....get on  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 09:31:20 am »
Oooooooooooh ! Keep us posted  ;D
Karen  :wave:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 09:42:23 am »
She won't be far off now, good luck hope all goes well.
Mandy  :pig:

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 09:54:00 am »
 :wave: Hi Sally and Meg

sending lots of  :love:

Nelson

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 12:32:11 pm »
we are about 3 weeks away from Roxys (KK) 2nd litter so will be watching all the tips for a refresher!
its so exciting!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 02:58:51 pm »
Timetable so far:

7am, ready for breakfast as usual.  Mum gave half-rations just to see how the day went...
9am, collecting dry dead dock sticks for nest.  Mum brought fresh bright barley straw; nice enough but it's not dry dead dock sticks.
11am, ok so turns out that barley straw is good stuff, busy building nest.
12:30pm, having a lie down in my beautiful big nest.  Mum came for a cuddle, that was nice.  We've never had a cuddle in the ark before, I always run out to meet her and flop down in the mud at her feet if I want a tummy rub.
1:30pm, got no energy for getting up, breathing heavily (mind I've got my snout under a half a tonne of fresh bright barley straw...)
2:30pm, Mum squirted milk from my titties and told me I was very clever.  I'm pretty uncomfortable and restless but it's nice Mum keeps popping in.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 03:02:02 pm »
I love the timetable

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 03:18:07 pm »
 ;D Hope you and Meg are doing well and are knee deep in piglets  ;D

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 03:21:55 pm »
Don't like to be smug BUT told you it would be Friday :thumbsup: Hope all goes well for you and Meg, look forward to the pics  :wave:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 05:31:25 pm »
Waiting with baited breath for rest of the timetable  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 06:06:11 pm »
Lordy, the suspence is killing.......come on Meg... :thumbsup: :pig: :pig: :pig: :thumbsup:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 06:50:20 pm »
3:30pm first one born.  Rear end first, perfect little bruiser of a saddleback.
3:32pm second one popped out.  Slightly smaller, also perfect little saddleback.
4pm got 5 now, 3 boys & 2 girls.  All identical except 3 have clockwise tails 2 anticlockwise and there's variable amounts of pink on the snout.

Meg's been brilliant, a perfect mum, plenty of milk, very happy to have us there. 

She seems to still be wanting to get something else out, strains every now and again, but nothing so far. 

I got her up and made her walk about a bit in case she needed to be facing the other way - but of course she lay down facing the same way again.  I also felt gently with a finger - nothing to feel.  So I've come back in to get hot soapy water etc.  (I already had lube with me but by now want to wash my hands before going in.)

More later...

BTW, the TalkTalk folks are locked out again today; I'm keeping Karen updated by text and Facebook...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
Re: Meg is nesting... Nested and done!
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 08:01:41 pm »
No intervention necessary, both afterbirths ejected by the time I returned. 

What a clever pig!

I am absolutely delighted with the 5 healthy little bruisers; I wanted 4 or 5 but we all thought she'd be bound to have more.  I only served her one time, not three, so perhaps that's how come I just got 5. 

Anyway, Mum & babies, BH and myself are all warm and happy.  It's been a very long-held ambition to have a sow have piglets - and I couldn't have bettered the experience. 

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Meg is nesting... Nested and done!
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 08:11:48 pm »
It was so lovely to hear all this.  Congratulations.  It's all so exciting.  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS