Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What a book...  (Read 15219 times)

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
Re: What a book...
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 04:18:37 pm »
Wow I dint realise it was written by VSS :) - well done!

Looking forward even more to receiving my copy now.

Baz

My OH wrote it - but there was quite a lot of researching and picture work done by yours truly. The next book wil be a true joint effort with both our names on the cover.

So glad everyone is finding useful - Tim's aim was to write the book he wished he had had when he was starting with sheep. Sounds like he might have succeeded.  ;D

he most certainly has succeeded, fantastic work. and i cant wait now for the next one, any idea when it'll be out?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 04:41:04 pm »
Nooooo. Cattle please  :cow: :cow: (That's my cows asking  ;D)

While you are waiting (in line behind those of us wanting the pigs book  ;)  :pig:)  I can recommend anything by Valerie Porter.  I have Cows for the Smallholder.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 04:42:25 pm »
i cant wait now for the next one, any idea when it'll be out?

When we've written it! Next year some time I think is the target.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 08:17:38 pm »
Cheapest one is foyles £20.97 ( http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/goto/book/foyles/9781904871644/ ) but unknown delivery date then its amazon £29.99 ( http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/goto/book/amazon/190487164X/ )

Think I am going for amazon but there are only 3 left so hurry up ;)

Baz
[/quote

Foyles out of stock, and say it's out of print!  Some left on amazon I think
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 10:55:34 pm »
Hi Blinkers and all, this is just what I was looking forward. Just ordered one, can't wait for it to come. I had Just been looking at the pictures of the GreyfaceDartmoors on this section and decided I seriously need to learn about sheep and consider having some. If you havn't seen the pics check them out you cant help but love them.

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2011, 07:30:23 am »
I am yet another who frets if I can't find my copy.  And it does tend to walk around as I consult it so often.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 01:52:13 pm »
Noticed a few people mentioning they needed a good book on pigs. My Haynes Pig Manual covers everything you will need, from selecting a breed and raising your first weaners, through to breeding, AI, and farrowing - all with lots of clear pictures and diagrams.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 01:58:45 pm »
I have the Haynes Pig Manual and can recommend it. Anything with nice colour pics seems to work better for me.
A useful book and an interesting read too.
thanks Liz
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 02:33:07 pm »
No more in stock on Amazon...... Except one for £95!!
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2012, 02:36:50 pm »
ok, so now all of us who don't have the book want it and there's none left on amazon, only a hardback copy for £95, will have to wait for the flexi copy. ;)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2012, 02:37:37 pm »
Totally agree- one of my favourite books. Thanks to Carol from CSSA for suggesting it. Didn't know she's got a signed copy...
Didn't know they were on sale for £95 either.....
xxxx

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2012, 02:52:04 pm »
another recommendation for the Haynes pig manual
I love the pictures!

(Tudful - you should have me on commission!! ;) )
Little Blue

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2012, 03:27:55 pm »
Re the Tim Tyne book, everyone suggested I get one and I found the £95 one from Amazon too  :(  but then I got a copy at the Royal Welsh Spring Festival which Tim signed for me. He only had 3 copies when I was there.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2012, 05:20:23 pm »
A friend of mine wants a copy but can't find it anywhere...help!
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2012, 10:37:23 pm »
Thank you all for the kind words about the Haynes Pig Manual. I did a search on Tim's book today, and WH Smith is selling it online for (if I remember rightly) £22.95 with free postage.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS