Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Interesting fact about PV panels  (Read 11967 times)

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Interesting fact about PV panels
« on: September 19, 2011, 12:22:36 pm »
I work for a renewables company and received this in an email today so thought I would share it

http://www.homeimprovementquotes.co.uk/newsletter.php?s_eng=newsletter_19sept11&ref=news2&issue=19sept11&account=51480acdd8be4861e100acd3be1da964

If you can't open it see my post below with the paragraph of interest in it
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 12:35:35 pm by ellisr »

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Interesting fact about PV panels
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 12:29:48 pm »
can't open it as we have no "permission"  ???

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 12:31:05 pm »
ooops never thought of that!!!

Here we go I will just copy it over......

Your solar panels will still work come Winter.

Despite the UK averaging around 48% overcast days in the year, solar panels, both the electricity generating kind (or photovoltaic to give them their proper name) and solar hot water panels continue to operate.

But what about the Winter?

Surprisingly, solar panels work even better - especially after a fall of snow. Providing the panel itself isn't covered, the amount of light produced by reflecting snow makes it ideal generating weather.

Solar panels also operate more efficiently in the cold - something to do with the cooling effect allowing for higher voltages being produced which results in higher wattage.

Providing the panels are clear of snow themselves, which might sound like a chore but given they should be south facing, then they'll melt off pretty quickly.

Some owners have gone to ingenious lengths, constructing extendable brushes to clear the snow off. Be careful though that you don't scratch the panel surface or put your safety at risk by over-reaching or using ladders etc to gain access.

Most owners just wait for the sun to melt any accumulation naturally.

One other thing you might be able to enquire about is solar panels that may have an additional coating which aids dirt and deposit washing off through natural rainfall.

A bit like the coatings you can now get on self-cleaning glass - very popular with glass roof conservatories - helping your panels maximise your return.

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 12:31:36 pm »
i cant open it either :farmer:

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 12:33:49 pm »
i cant open it either :farmer:

It is in my post above

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 12:37:07 pm »
we both posted at the same time ;) :farmer: and your fingers will be quicker than my left index finger ;)

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 01:50:20 pm »
Now I need a little 'smiley' that has a t-shirt over his head and running round. I never type faster than anyone :thumbsup:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 02:03:25 pm »
I love the idea of the sun melting an accumulation of snow from the pv cells  :D.  Last winter our south-facing roof was under a couple of feet of snow for the best part of 2 months, with little or no melting, certainly no clear areas.  The only place it melted was near the chimney, then it burst the cast iron down pipe with a loud bang when the water refroze.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 09:56:07 pm »
Our next door neighbours (south facing) panels were covered in snow for the best part of a month - even in beautiful sunshine... but it was -15 even during the day....

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 09:34:11 am »
Thanks for posting this - I was worried about that as we will have no direct sun for the winter months due to some industrial forest on the hill. About to sign up this week after lots and lots of visits from salesmen...can't wait now to get going! :&>

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 10:17:42 am »
good to know, we're thinking of having solar put on the roof (we have a nice expanse of south facing roof).

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 10:41:10 am »
has anybody else noticed that the quality of the sales people for solar PV has moved from "expert" to "get on this bandwagon chav" ?  I went to the exhibition at Wembley last week and I knew more about the systems than they did!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 11:08:48 am »
yup, some have no clue, double glazing salesmen or worse in their real life  ::)
some were really good or at least make an effort to get all the questions answered by phoning the boss  ;D

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 07:27:26 pm »
I work with a product called solar slate as the PV panel part of our business is commercial but I think I know more about the biomass boilers than either of the solar products. I am quite lucky to have information like above emailed to me daily so I can share.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 11:10:33 pm »
Having recently spent seven weeks on holiday dragging the shed around europe , I was gobsmacked to see the tremendous numbers of wind generator turbines and PV solar farms as well as everybody and their aunt having them on their houses and farm buildings .
Most local authorities seem to have done it as well .

What did intrigue me is that not all PV systems were on south facing roof's  several roof's had tiered runs of panels to make a greater surface area presented to the sun .

By the simple addition of stand off brackets many a roof facing east of west were adapted to make the panels face almost south .

I've not seen hide nor hair of the adaptors here in the UK and was turned down for getting my roof done because of it .  I have over 200 sq mtrs of east or west facing roof so you can see the advantages of my locating  the adaptors and the companies who use / install them.

Have any of you guys and gals any info of availabiluity of such angled presenters in the UK ??
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS