Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Interesting fact about PV panels  (Read 12003 times)

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: Interesting fact about PV panels
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 02:49:56 pm »
I know they are available but more for commercial settings, planners get a bit of a state in this country about using them on houses

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 02:55:19 pm »
I think they may be concerned about the weight placed on a roof - perhaps joists/roof beams might need re-inforcing?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 02:57:17 pm »
The weight has to be taken into account for any PV panel in any setting so that is not the reason the planners don't favour them. It is more a problem with the way they look when angled

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
    • Zabalaz Siberian Huskies
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 12:42:26 am »
The weight has to be taken into account for any PV panel in any setting so that is not the reason the planners don't favour them. It is more a problem with the way they look when angled

do planners look different when they are angled

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 08:09:07 am »
Planners always look at them to see if they have a greater impact on the property and surrounding area, Some areas are better than others but if you are in a sensitive area they are really strict. The company I work for has designed and manufactured a solar panel that looks like a slate to try and help people in sensitive areas or with listed properties

Juno

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 12:53:26 pm »
Ellisr, I am investigating solar power for a single storey cottage i intend to reonvate, it has no power at all and i don't fancy the cost of running power lines to it, I think i would like to go down the 'no bill' route anyway, the one you mention that 'looks like a slate tile' would be a fab idea, any further info would be gratefully received

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 12:56:23 pm »
Juno I have sent you a PM about that company

Juno

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 03:03:33 pm »
Thankyou x

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 11:12:56 am »
The optimum angle for solar collectors in the Winter months is 50 degrees from horizontal. As most roofs are 30 degrees it may explain why the snow cover isn't melting.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS