Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tomatoes  (Read 4810 times)

dopirt

Tomatoes
« on: February 26, 2009, 02:40:14 pm »
This was the back end of my personal tomato crop coming to an end last year.  They are in a very small unheated Glasshouse but always crop well using the ring culture system.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
Re: Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 03:52:07 pm »
the ring culture system - what's that then?

dopirt

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 07:57:30 pm »
I was introduced to growing tomatoes by the ring culture method in my second year in horticulture back in 1969.

Very briefly, plants are placed in whale-hide pots (bottomless pots) and stood on a bed of gravel whereby you administer plant food via the pot but main watering is administered via the gravel [Back then the material for the gravel bed was washed, riddled ashes from the boiler house].

This method was far better than just growing straight into the greenhouse border as it eliminated soil diseases from growing tomatoes.  The fibrous roots were retained within the pot and the water borne roots penetrated the gravel for water moisture.

The older method of growing straight into the greenhouse border meant that every year we would have to dig out the soil borders and sterilise it.

That’s a very brief description but it’s a little more technical than I have just described.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 07:23:03 am by dopirt »

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 08:42:24 am »
When you have the time it would be interesting know some more of the "technical issues". In the meantime I'll Google,but it's always better to hear from someone who actually does it year in year out.......... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 09:47:19 am »
Basically the save as Dopirt has written
http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/todo_now/faqs.php?id=107

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS