Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: alternative to Cheshunt compound??  (Read 11565 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
alternative to Cheshunt compound??
« on: February 20, 2009, 11:10:54 am »
I'd like to grow Goji Berries from seed and I wonder if there is a natural alternative to Cheshunt compound (it asks for that on the packet): I don't want to start using copper based fungicides, does anyone have experience with maybe using a herbal tea of some kind instead? :&>

rustyme

Re: alternative to Cheshunt compound??
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 12:37:42 pm »
I think cheshunt compound is ok to use , even  under organic standards, being only copper sulphate and ammonium carbonate . I don't use any chemicals for my gardening , but cheshunt compound is one I would use if I had a greenhouse or polytunnel , as once you get damping off , it is a real bugger to get rid of. Copper sulphate is also mixed with lime and is then called Bordeaux mixture. Ammonium carbonate used to be used instead of baking soda , still is used for some recipes. Another use  is also as smelling salts.  So it should be ok unless there is some new evidence of it being dangerous to use.

cheers

Russ

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
Re: alternative to Cheshunt compound??
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 01:42:53 pm »
The only problem I'm aware of with copper compounds is their use on a large scale on feilds that will become pasture in the future.  Copper is very toxic to sheep and can persist for some time in some soils.  On a garden scale though we use it ourselves when needed.

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS