Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: HEDGE LAYER LOOKING FOR WORK  (Read 13816 times)

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: HEDGE LAYER LOOKING FOR WORK
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 02:20:43 pm »
Yeah I can give you some advice, dont lay the hedge between November and the end of February. Only lay the hedge if it has reached a signifacant height ie: 8 feet would be good.
Start by thining out the hedge from ground level up to about head hieght. Only thin out the ditch side, the side not in the field. Any unwanted branches that are protruding towards you lop off. Once you have got a good bit thinned approximatley half a chain (11 yards) you can start to lay. Start by cutting into the stem with a billhook about 35 degrees down into it. do not go all the way through as this will kill the hedge and it wont regrow. Always lay the hedge up hill. Once you have done your first cut lay this down at an angle 45 degrees, do this all the way along until you layed all the parts you have thinned. Then you you need stakes and binders these are cut from hazel. The stakes should be put in at every 18 inches and woven down through the layed hedge and knocked into the ground continue this all the way along. You can tidy up the face of the hedge once it has all been finished. The binders are a bit difficult to explain without showing you how to do it but this should help you to lay the hedge to reasonable standard.
Hope this helps any questions please contact me.  ;)

Urmmmm Stevie......

We DO lay hedges between Nov and Feb.......why don't you?????? My husband is a professional tree surgeon and hedgelayer and we both teach hedgelaying!!!

Also it is not usual to use binders and stakes except in certain styles such as south of england or midland.....!

There are many courses that one can go on to learn hedgelaying and for Rosemary esp.....if you can get a group together for next autumn/winter we would run a course on your hedges which would get your hedges laid and teach you and others how.....what do you think???
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: HEDGE LAYER LOOKING FOR WORK
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 09:18:16 pm »
You're on. We'll definitely do that. How big do the hedges have to be to be laid? We have a stretch that was here when we moved in and is big and old and we have the stuff that we planted in, let's see, 2001/2.

I'll PM you about arrangements.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS