Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What Magazines Do You Read? (if any)  (Read 11141 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: What Magazines Do You Read? (if any)
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 09:02:26 am »
Country Smallholding if there's something which might be interesting in it, Scottish Farmer ditto.  Kitchen Garden usually.
I hate how their covers have become hyper glossy so you can't stack them without the lot slithering all over the place - even Organic Gardening went that way (it then became Organic Garden and Home or somesuch - is it still on the go?)
I don't like Smallholder which seems to cover a lot of subjects but very superficially ie no helpful content.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 09:24:05 am »
We read the following and they're all on gift subscriptions so i don't pay for any of them, Farmers' weekly, Woman & Home, Country Living. We also get practical pigs free from the BPA and the quarterley GOS magazine Spot Press.
From time to time i pick up country smallholding or smallholder and Country Kitchen if theres something in of interest used to have them on sub too but they just got very samey as already mentioned by others.
If i'm in need of indulgence i might get a Hello or Glamour with a bar of chocolate!! ;D
Mandy  :pig:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 09:36:23 am »
I don't have much time, so OH's newspaper weekend mags are plenty (Guardian and Observer) and I honestly do only read the gardening and cooking pages! They are brilliant I must say, Alys Fowler and Nigel Slater, HF-W, why buy another mag? :&>

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 11:30:50 am »

TAS is good enough for me

Couldn't we have a competition on here SfS?

Thats up to you to agree with Dan - I dont want to be seen as being too blatantly commercial, as the way we normally run competitions is:

1) Simple Question about a product (Multi-Choice)
2) Find answer on our site (the trap to get you to buy !!!)
3) Send in answers (usually to magazine to keep it un-biased)
4) Winner Drawn and gets prize
5) We get the contact details of all entrants and offer them a consolation discount of their next order and they get added to our mailing list (can opt out)

So if you want a competition, Im up for it, ask Dan and decide if you want it Pig / Sheep / Cattle / Poultry Based.
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 11:55:59 am »
Thanks SfS.

I have "reported you to the moderator" but only to ask Dan what he thinks as to the feasibility of a TAS competition not for slapped wrist.....
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 12:21:58 pm »
I'm always up for competitions where you can win something - as long as you don't sell my details on SfS  ;D :&>

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 12:40:25 pm »
We have a very strict policy regarding personal details, and never sell or disclose them  see here for our full policy: https://www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk/privacy.php

Furthermore:

Our site is run entirely on an SSL certificate (unlike some others who dont even use SSL) this means anything you do on our site is encrypted between you and our server.

And to comply with Payment Card Industry requirements (PCI) our site undergoes quartly independant PCI Scans by a company called Security Metrics to test for vulnerabilities - we always pass these!

And our payment systems are hosted off-site by either Barclays Bank or Paypal depending on your choice of payment methods, so we Never store card details.

And I personally spend many hours testing the site security and upgrading the software used to ensure we are as "Hacker Proof" as we can possibly be.

So as you can see, we take security seriously.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011, 12:52:15 pm »
 :bouquet: good to know!
better start working on the quiz! Poultry based for me, don't have any other animals than the birdies and the cat  ;D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 01:38:05 pm by northfifeduckling »

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2011, 01:21:40 pm »
We buy Farmer's Guardian and Classic Boat Magazine.

Get complimentary copies of Home Farmer and Country Smallholding (OH writes for one and I write for the other)

Also get the National Sheep Association mag as part of membership and ditto for BASC (British Association for Shooting and Conservation).
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2011, 01:23:53 pm »
Yes - how about "name that chicken" ....... Based on the old "Name that tune" format.

You start with a photo of a single wing feather (5 points), then a tail feather (four points), then a photo of a body part (say - beak or claw - 3 points), then a slightly wider angle photo ( say - leg or head - 2 points) and finally for one point - the whole chicken
 ;D  ;D

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2011, 01:55:06 pm »
Suzie,

I have to ask - what have you been drinking ??!!?? :bunny:

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2011, 02:02:52 pm »
I'm at a Health Protection conference  ::)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2011, 11:12:16 pm »
Yes - how about "name that chicken" ....... Based on the old "Name that tune" format.

You start with a photo of a single wing feather (5 points), then a tail feather (four points), then a photo of a body part (say - beak or claw - 3 points), then a slightly wider angle photo ( say - leg or head - 2 points) and finally for one point - the whole chicken
 ;D  ;D

Suzie,

I have to ask - what have you been drinking ??!!?? :bunny:
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I'm at a Health Protection conference  ::)

;D ;D ;D ;D   ;D ;D ;D  ;D ;D ;D   ;D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D

;D

;D ;D    ;D

Thanks you two (and the Health Protection conference) I am now setting off to bed with a big smile still on my face and my blood flowing well through my cheeks.   :wave:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2011, 02:28:57 pm »
Well............

Over 200 Views and only a handful of replies - does Nobody read anything ??

Looks like I may have to run a competition in Osteopath today then.....

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2011, 02:56:19 pm »
Hey - what about the BMJ??!!  ;D ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS