Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What Magazines Do You Read? (if any)  (Read 11140 times)

What Magazines Do You Read? (if any)
« on: September 13, 2011, 04:13:54 pm »
Hi,

Just trying to get a feel of what magazines people read, as we are running a series of competitions and want to place them in the right place - first one is in Novembers Smallholder.

So do you read:

Smallholder
Farmers Weekly
Farmers Guardian
etc etc

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: What Magazines Do You Read? (if any)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 04:15:52 pm »
Smallholder, Country Smallholder, Scottish Farmer, Scottish Field.

Hello and OK if I'm at the dentist or the doctor.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 04:29:27 pm »
Grow your own
Gardeners world
Garden Organic
British Medical Journal
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

cranfordpigcompany

• Joined Nov 2010
  • cranford northamptonshire
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 04:43:31 pm »
Smallholding
Practical Pigs
Home Farmer   
cranfordpigcompany

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 05:26:06 pm »
Country Smallholding
Farmers' Guardian
Countryside Magazine

sam.t

• Joined Mar 2009
  • goole east yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 07:21:07 pm »
home farmer
practical poultry
your chickens

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 07:29:32 pm »
The Week
Osteopathy Today
The Osteopath

No prizes for guessing what I am!

:-*

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 10:11:04 pm »
Practical Poultry, Scottish Farmer, Smallholder, Country Smallholder not all the time just when I fancy. When you get to my age you find that a fare few articles or stories are just revamps of old ones or is that just me.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 10:17:22 pm »
Given up on journals - once you have had them for a while, yet another new series on "getting started in...." is just not worth the money...

Just read on here and a couple of other places, get the odd book from the library or from abebooks if recommended.

Sorry not much help...

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 10:31:13 pm »
We get practical pigs free with BPA membership. Just as well as I wouldn't buy it. Used to buy one or other of the smallholding mags but quickly realised that every issue is the bloody same. Main gripe is that most of the content is thinly veiled advertising, and the rest is actually advertising. Practical pigs is a bit of a joke really the editor has been the editor longer than he's been a pig keeper but still writes guides to various breeds and at least half the articles. The rest is just more boring advertising. Rant over.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 10:47:57 pm »
Couldn't agree more with Hughsey and Anke. I used to get Smallholder mag and Practical Poultry but it got a bit samey after a while. Grow Your Own is going the same way - too many pictures of wistful looking girls with their head to one side holding a handful of fruit in a twee little basket........

TAS is good enough for me

Couldn't we have a competition on here SfS?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 10:52:30 pm »
I used to have Smallholder and Country smallholder, but they got so expensive, and was the same old stuff, so stopped having them.  Have Grow your own in the summer .....[.like the free seeds :)  Buy the Farmers Guardian, but thats a lot of money nowadays.  Or maybe I am just tght!!

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 11:36:24 pm »
Home farmer and permaculture are my favourites  just now. Sometime i get practical poultry or the smallholder or country smallholder.
If i am looking to buy something though my first stop is ebay - not sure if that helps? The things i buy on the internet are usually things like medication or anti pest sort of products or feeding equipment or electric fencing stuff etc

:farmer:
kirsty

calamityjane

• Joined Aug 2011
  • sauchie
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 12:31:33 am »
Small holder, scottish farmer and every now and then your horse and horse and rider.  I borrow books from library too.  This months small holder I was disappointed read it quickly last few have took me about a week but i enjoyed reading it.  Would like more recipes in it.   poultry section this time very disappointed.  Thinking about it not alot mentioned regarding sheep or cows but we have only been getting it lately last 3 or 4 months. Would like more recipes for sausages how to smoke bacon etc even whats in season and recipes for making things in season even readers recipes would be nice. i do like the pig section we have just got pigs and will be taking our old spot to slaughter soon hence the sausage bacon recipes not decided what cuts we are getting

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 04:09:29 am »
Would like more recipes in it.   poultry section this time very disappointed.  Thinking about it not alot mentioned regarding sheep or cows but we have only been getting it lately last 3 or 4 months. Would like more recipes for sausages how to smoke bacon etc even whats in season and recipes for making things in season even readers recipes would be nice. i do like the pig section we have just got pigs and will be taking our old spot to slaughter soon hence the sausage bacon recipes not decided what cuts we are getting

Some articles and recipes on TAS and more to come if you look through the main site.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS