Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Jersey Giants  (Read 2495 times)

CrunchyKat

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Gower
Jersey Giants
« on: September 13, 2011, 07:03:44 am »
I'm looking for a slow growing table bird and Jersey Giants seem ideal, is there anything I need to know before I fill up my incubator? They don't appear to be hugely popular, I just wondered why  :-\
Buff Orpingtons, French Copper Black Marans, Light Sussex, Black Rock, husband x 1, children x 6, cats x 2

cluckingnuts

• Joined Oct 2010
  • llyn peninsula
Re: Jersey Giants
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 07:46:28 am »
Slow growing are the operative words for JG

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 09:35:24 am »
I currently have 6 JG chicks and they are the lovliest birds ever, very friendly and inquisitive.  They do take a long time to mature though - as long as 2 years to reach full maturity but if you're willing to keep at it and wait they are ideal table birds.  i also have 10 hubbards at the moment destined for the table which are very quick growing but I have to say that this is the only time I will have them as I find them to grow scarily fast, be very messy, greedy and really no fun to keep at all so we are going down the Jersey route from now on as we are in it for the long haul.  Good luck either way.
Melanie

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 09:45:07 am »
Shame you're not enjoying your Hubbards. Must say I'm enjoying this lot more than any previous. I've had them outside quicker and with more room and haven't found them too messy. They get corn for breakfast and supper now - I think that helps. The increased space means they are more active too, so more interesting.

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 10:01:41 am »
Rosemary, I have moved them on to corn too in the hope that they will clean up a bit.  They have a lot of space and seem to be enjoying themselves but I just can't take to them - that may be because I know they are destined for the pot and so I have distanced myself from them but who knows.  I know that in comparison to my other chooks, I get no real pleasure from them - until I eat them of course!!  We live and learn though don't we x

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 10:21:09 am »
I have a feeling Castle Farm keeps Jersey Giants, but whether he has any hatching eggs at present I am not sure, but if not now he will probably have some before too long. 

I keep the English Cuckoo Marans, and I find them lovely birds to keep.  They are slower growing, but make about 2-2.5 kilos dressed weight in about 24-30 weeks.  I feed mine chick/growers at first, then once they are strong enough they get total free range and unlimited straight wheat

10-14 days before killing they are penned in a quiet place and fed boiled/soaked wheat/pear/barley.  Cleansed for 24 hours plucked then hung for 2-3 days before dressing depending on weather.

I find them an excellent flavour and texture - a real gourmet treat, and with the advantage that any female chicks can be kept for their lovely eggs, or sold on as growers or POL for which there seems to be a ready demand.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 01:50:24 pm »
Rosemary, I have moved them on to corn too in the hope that they will clean up a bit.  They have a lot of space and seem to be enjoying themselves but I just can't take to them - that may be because I know they are destined for the pot and so I have distanced myself from them but who knows.  I know that in comparison to my other chooks, I get no real pleasure from them - until I eat them of course!!  We live and learn though don't we x

Actually, now that you mention it, maybe that's why I like them better now - I've got used to the fact that in 12 weeks, they're going in the freezer. The first couple of batches, TBH, it took me to look after them; I did, but I found no joy in it and like you, found them dull and messy. I thought it was them, but maybe it was me. Interesting.

You'll enjoy the meat though - it's wonderful.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS