Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: banty rooster peck brains out of 8wk old barred rock  (Read 3294 times)

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
banty rooster peck brains out of 8wk old barred rock
« on: September 12, 2011, 09:51:07 pm »
Headed into  the barn after work and there lays a dead 8 week old barred rock (one of 24 other 8 wk old chickens).  It looked like its head had a hole pecked out of it.

Would a banty rooster hop the fence and do such a thing?  Why?  What was the threat to it.  It has 12 adult hens to tend.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: banty rooster peck brains out of 8wk old barred rock
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 10:15:48 pm »
A Bantam Rooster pecked the eyes form my Marran Cockerel, I found them fighting with the banty on its back pecking away! The Marran had to be dispatched straight away. So yes I can well believe it.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 02:52:09 pm »
Chickens can be killers and very cruel to the sick and week.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 11:05:57 pm »
I have one large Light Sussex and a large Copper Black Maran, plus numerous bantam cockerels.  I have noticed that the bantams rule the roost so to speak, or at least the bantie cockerels.  They stand up to the large cockerels, who keep out of their way.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 09:09:01 am »
RAT?

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 09:10:03 pm »
I agree with the possibility of a rat. It worth considering. Rats will peck at the heads of young or small birds. I had a trio of barbe d'ucles many years ago and lost two of them to rats. They ate their eyes out and killed them. Didn't know I had a rat problem until then! My hen house was clean as well as the surrounding area but the rats got in. Hope you do find the root of the problem and don't loose any more.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS