Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: advice on dispatching a day old chick  (Read 5639 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
advice on dispatching a day old chick
« on: September 15, 2011, 01:54:37 pm »
Hi,

one of my orpington chicks had a head that is tipped backwards.  I have spent an hour massaging it and gently bending it forwards to the point where the chick can sleep with its head down. If it tenses however and tries to stand its head tips back and its legs streatch out as if it is pushing its self out of its shell. I'm not sure if it is strained from a long hatching period or if the fact that it is deformed is what made it struggle to hatch.

What would be the best way to dispatch it as I dont want it to die of thirst and hunger.

Buffy

CrunchyKat

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Gower
Re: advice on dispatching a day old chick
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 02:06:24 pm »
I used neck dislocation on a newly hatched Orpington that I unfortunately needed to dispatch. Same action as with a bigger bird but using just thumb and forefinger. It was very quick.
Buff Orpingtons, French Copper Black Marans, Light Sussex, Black Rock, husband x 1, children x 6, cats x 2

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 02:12:17 pm »
This is called stargazing and can come for a lack of vitamins and minerals in the mothers diet. I have sucessfully brought 2 chicks on from this but it took 48 hours of nursing and a small weight on the back of the neck to stop them throwing the head backwards (the weight from my dressing gown belt). They never seem to be as healthy as the other chicks and usually die younger.

The quickest way of dispatching a chick is to dislocate the neck, use the edge of a board lay them over using finger and thumb jerk quickly it doesn't take much and they are out of there misery.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 02:17:09 pm »
Thanks,

not sure wether its worth persivering in that case. The eggs were from a friends birds so poor nutrition may be the reason.

How did you keep the chicks head down fot that period and did you keep it horizontal with the body or pionting downwards.

Buffy

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 02:57:19 pm »
I actually had it in my hand in normal position with my dressing gown tie up its back and over it's head when I was siting down watching TV or reading a book and the rest of the time it was in my dressing gown pocket as I was poorly myself at the time. OH nursed the second one so don't know what technique he used.
I found if you kept them in the upright position with a little pressure on the back of the neck they couldn't throw the head back and they sat quiet comfortable, don't let it try to walk as it will get distressed when the head goes back. I seem to remember OH using match sticks and a soft harness type thing on his again preventing the head going backwards.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 03:07:33 pm »
Thanks Ellisr,

I have it in a car blanket with my hand gently over it for added wormth. if I need to leave it for a short while the weight of the blanket is enough to stop its hed tipping back. How did you give it water ???

Buffy

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 03:19:27 pm »
I just gently dipped it's beak now and again same for food and it seemed to manage all the normal things

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 10:59:00 am »
I worked on the chick from when it hatched yesteday lunch time until 10 last night when its head stopped going backwards. I put it in with the others and it can walk normally today. Saddly the two that had splayed legs are not improving.

I think from now on I will stick to hatching my own as I never have any of these problems.

Buffy

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 01:48:33 pm »
I had a guinea fowl with this same problem but from about 1 week old I think she was.  She grew up to be absolutely fine as it righted itself all on it's own.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS