Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone going to the Carlisle Rare Breeds mart on Sept 17th?  (Read 10101 times)

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Anyone going to the Carlisle Rare Breeds mart on Sept 17th?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 10:38:51 am »
I won't be able to go to Carlisle, but I'm hoping my new Southdown sheep will be arriving form Sussex to await collection to Aberdeen.  Can't wait to get them home, just hope nothing goes wrong.  The catalogue is on line, and yes it would be really fantastic if Lanark could obtain RBST recognition and more publicity.  Maybe we could start a campaign?
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 11:39:31 am »
Yes that would be good, a lot less of a tour to get there.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2011, 11:44:16 am »
...... and yes it would be really fantastic if Lanark could obtain RBST recognition and more publicity.  Maybe we could start a campaign?

There is already something afoot - speak to Happy Hippy who is co-ordinating it.  We have the northern field officer for RBST on our side, so it could just be a matter of time  :)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2011, 01:40:39 pm »
Will be there.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 06:57:32 pm »
That is interesting, I wondered if Ruth would help, I'll follow up happy Hippy as soon as I've rescued supper!
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2011, 08:21:30 pm »
Anyone been to Barry Mill in Carnoustie.  It looks very similar to our set up and I've been desperate for a visit.  OH is convincing me not to go to Carlisle as we are strictly not going to be buying anything, having just bought some registered soays and moorits this week.  Hmm. Would like to have gone for the viewing but its a long drive and what to do with the dog etc.  Looks like we will be going to Barry Mill instead, not a bad alternative and it's near the beach for the dog. Will make up for it at the Carlisle or Lanark show next year I'm sure.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2011, 09:52:45 pm »
Have bought all the sheep (and goats) I wanted this year already... and too far to drive for just looking. So again not going this year (but will hopefully be selling by next year!)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 09:42:13 am »
Well, I went and managed to find VSS (hi Dot  :wave:  Hope you got back ok) but didn't knowingly stumble over any other TASers.   (What's this about badges?  It would be good to have something - TAS hats, shirts, or something?)  I spoke to Ruth Dalton, of course, and our local man Peter Ryan, on the RBST stand.

The place was absolutely heaving with folk.  Incredibly, despite having been given a green light by BH, I bought nothing, nothing at all.   :(  But then, isn't it fun to window shop?!  :D

Poultry prices seemed to me to be lower than they have been, although I didn't watch a great deal of the trade.

I didn't watch the pigs sell (I'd been queuing for such a long time for my coffee I decided I couldn't leave the queue now so missed the pigs.  When I did eventually reach the front of the queue I bought everything I could conceivaby want to eat or drink for the rest of the day - no way was I going through that again!)  The OSB breeder didn't show up, sadly.  I'd been looking forward to seeing her and telling her Meg was about to farrow!  (I bought Meg & Gaby from her last year.)

As Fleecewife says, there was a really nice atmosphere and I had a thoroughly enjoyable day.

Next time I'm taking sandwiches and a flask, though!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 02:49:41 pm »
Hopefully there will be one in lanark by next year and we won't have to travel so far ... even if it is just to window shop, with the price of deisel it's hard to support all these events.  Shame.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 04:27:19 pm »
it was a good day prices were dawn bought a flock off Hebridean some with ROSETTES on 12 in total .
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 09:54:54 pm by Victorian Farmer »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2011, 05:20:37 pm »
Anyone been to Barry Mill in Carnoustie.  It looks very similar to our set up and I've been desperate for a visit.  OH is convincing me not to go to Carlisle as we are strictly not going to be buying anything, having just bought some registered soays and moorits this week.  Hmm. Would like to have gone for the viewing but its a long drive and what to do with the dog etc.  Looks like we will be going to Barry Mill instead, not a bad alternative and it's near the beach for the dog. Will make up for it at the Carlisle or Lanark show next year I'm sure.

Yep, I go every day  ;D We're about a  mile away and my tup, wether and this year's tup lambs are grazing up there. Wish I'd read this earlier - you could have come for a cuppa.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2011, 07:23:37 pm »
Thank you Rosemary!  I'll take a rain check on that cuppa - ended up we couldn't go to that either this weekend as my son has a terrible chest infection and being asthmatic also we thought it was better to keep him indoors, so I called Peter Ellis at Barry Mill and we are going to give him a visit in the October school break instead so he is expecting us then.  Perhaps we can pop in and say Hi - we don't ever keep busy people so we won't outstay our welcome!  We know what it's like!  Many thanks.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2011, 07:31:31 pm »
it was a good day prices were dawn bought a flock off Hebridean some with russets on 12 in total .

Hi VF  What are russets?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2011, 07:40:42 pm »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2011, 07:41:27 pm »
Thank you Rosemary!  I'll take a rain check on that cuppa - ended up we couldn't go to that either this weekend as my son has a terrible chest infection and being asthmatic also we thought it was better to keep him indoors, so I called Peter Ellis at Barry Mill and we are going to give him a visit in the October school break instead so he is expecting us then.  Perhaps we can pop in and say Hi - we don't ever keep busy people so we won't outstay our welcome!  We know what it's like!  Many thanks.

PM me re date so I can be around if at all possible  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS