Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: save our bee campain 6-15 march  (Read 4798 times)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
save our bee campain 6-15 march
« on: February 23, 2009, 07:50:02 pm »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: save our bee campain 6-15 march
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 07:54:54 pm »
We're registered. Thanks, Linz

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 08:01:59 pm »
more things for bees here plus free sunflower seeds

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 09:07:45 pm »
Thanx linz, just reg, now downloading activity pack, keep the kids entertained for an afternoon. No seeds left though so will buy some sunflower seeds!!  ;D ;D ;D :pig:

minidax

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 09:21:27 pm »
Registered here.

:D

Rainyplace

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 09:09:38 am »
Me too. My bees were out yesterday, lost one hive through the winter

sandy

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 10:52:29 am »
Thanks, I have registered, would like to keep Bees but I have had a few bad stings and it certainly puts me off  :bee: :bee:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 11:05:12 am »
I've registered too.  Can't have bees in case grandchildren get stung.  But we all love honey, Mummy! ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 02:46:28 pm »
I'm very keen on introducing beasties into my garden.

I've planted 300 willow cuttings to help introduce beasties/birds and also help improve the soil/provide firewood.

All my raised beds are for fruit and veg, but i'm building a massive bed to go around my perimeter fence - it'll be about 150 feet long. So i'm gonna grow some flowers to add some colour and attract more beasties/bees

But i want colour all year round - not just for a few weeks - like you get with dafs - so can someone give me a definitive list of flowers i can plant so i can have colour from spring to autumn.

I'm also planting marigolds as they hide the carrots from carrot fly.

if the bees come back, i can throw away my old paint brush that i use to hand polinate everything.

and nothing tempramental like roses, something that i can plant and it will grow!!! i've enough keeping me busy with the veg!

Hardfeather

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 05:07:24 pm »
For a lovely show of blue from April to July you could plant Gentian............it's low growing and spreads slowly, and bees love it. You don't have to dead head it either so it's low maintenance.

Lupins, once established, just do their own thing at the back of the beds and keep insects interested for weeks, too.

There are all different colours of perennial Geraniums which flower well across the spring/summer period, and hover flies seem to like them.

Honeysuckle, mints, Cotoneaster.............all loved by bees and flies........red/white/blackcurrants.........and, of course, Buddlea (sp) if you have the room.

Some of the scrambling roses are easy enough....they only need a prune at the back end of the year to get them away, trouble free, in the spring.

Hawthorn, too, in the hedge helps lots of insects in spring and their flowers are lovely, if short-lived.

Alpine strawberries.............................. ;) :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 12:57:36 am »
Ooh, super info - thanks, have printed it off so I can get buying this week.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 04:19:18 pm »
i'm taking monday/tuesday off work - gonna try get the huge raised bed and fencing built this weekend so that I can get some flowers planted for this summer!

I thought this was meant to be the good life!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS