Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What crafts are you working on?  (Read 8365 times)

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: What crafts are you working on?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 09:06:39 pm »
I sell on Etsy.com, zibbet.com, shoply.com and facebook of course

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 08:27:49 am »
hiya all , am knitting 1 of 2 bamboo yarn sock for my dad in snazzy colours (might be birthday or xmas not sure which year depends on my speed lol)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, 09:24:11 am »
hiya all , am knitting 1 of 2 bamboo yarn sock for my dad in snazzy colours (might be birthday or xmas not sure which year depends on my speed lol)
Hey Linz - good to see you back on here - been a while!  Maybe catch up sometime soon?  My home is Robin proof so come round for a coffee.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

WaltDisneyWorld

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, 07:57:10 pm »
Basket weaving. I've made 3 baskets to date at the course I have been attending and now taken delivery of bundles of various length willow to make some on my own!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2011, 09:27:17 pm »
Do you need a specific type of willow?  And is it a certain thickness?  I'm asking as I have a number of willow trees - um shrubs really at the mo - and would love to take up something like basket weaving.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

WaltDisneyWorld

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2011, 10:25:21 pm »
Hi Doganjo - The willow I have bought and being advised to use as a complete beginner is called buff willow. It has had its outer bark removed and dried. I am told it is easier to work with to begin with when you have to concentrate on technique and tightness of weave. At my last class we were given some green willow to work into the bottoms we were weaving and I found I could not keep the weave as tight and it was more slippery to work with, however I did like the contrast in colour so hopefully with practice I will be able to incorporate it. You use different lengths of willow for different weaves on the basket to gain the required thickness. At class we are handed what is required so I think it is going to be a challenge for me to choose from my own bundles.
I have also made a wigwam for the garden, this was made from dogwood 'stakes' and then woven with hurdle willow. We were looking at a book at the last class recommending materials you can weave with from the hedgerow so I am sure you would be able to use some of your willow, if you are interested in the name of the book I will try to find out for you. I have bought a book called Willow Work bu Mary Butcher and that looks like it is going to have good advice it. I do urge you to have a go at basket making, I am really enjoying it,

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2011, 10:40:09 pm »
Thanks, WDW.  My neighbours at my last house had loads of willow, and Carol my pal made a willow playhouse for her daughters.  They had great fun.  Mine isn't anything like as tall as that though.  I got it from Happy hippy last year and it has grown to about 5 feet, but I've chopped the tops off to thicken it into a hedge; so she'll maybe be able to say what variety it is.  Might browse YouTube for some info too.  Would like to know the name of that book, thanks.

WaltDisneyWorld

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2011, 08:49:04 pm »
Hi Doganjo - Book is called Handmade Baskets by Susie Vaughan

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS