Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: MF135  (Read 10400 times)

Millwood

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Oxfordshire
    • Millwood Market Gardens
MF135
« on: September 06, 2011, 01:34:52 pm »
We are on the verge of buying a MF135, late 60s model, reduction gearbox, front loader, etc, any opinions please? They seem to be the typical buy for a smallholder, we're looking to use it for topping the field, rotovating, shifting muck about, turning the compost and eventually planting out with a module planter.
Chooks, ducks, pigs, Bertie the tractor & loadsa veg!
www.themarketgardeneynsham.co.uk
Twitter: @marketgardeneyn

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
Re: MF135
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 03:43:51 pm »
perfect piece o kit. If it was a knacker then it would have been scrapped long ago. the best thing is because it is simple anyone can srvice and repair the old girl.
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 04:26:17 pm »
If you can afford an old MF35 or MF135, grab it!

BH says to be careful with the front loader; these old tractors are no weight and not 4-wheel drive, so don't try to lift big bales (or if you must, be very very careful and keep the load low) and for muck have a small bucket or gripe and you should be okay.

He also says he'd get his favourite mechanic to check it over and also make a few enquiries to make sure it's not too expensive - they do hold their value but only if you pay the right price in the first place!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 05:09:50 pm »
If worried about keeping the back end on the ground when using the loader get a weight block made up. local black smith would knock something up with a 45 gallon drum and some concrete no worries. either that or have the tyres filled with water.
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 05:17:33 pm »
Weight block is a good idea, yes.  Not sure about putting water in the back tyres on a non-4x4?  (They can porpoise if you have to brake when the back tyres have water inside - if you haven't any drive from the front does that make it more dangerous?)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Millwood

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 07:12:38 pm »
Thanks for the replies! Going back again tomorrow to look at it with a 'good ole boy' we know who has a few tractors & is certainly in the know, on the phone he said it would be ideal for what we want and said right away what we should expect to pay for it, and was right! As far as the weight issue, we'd only use the front loader (which is a fork with shallow bucket) for turning the compost & shifting muck around on site, we never have any hay bales. Also we are probably going to buy with it a fleming rear tipping transport box which I would have thought would help weigh it down? Its all so exciting! ;D

Millwood

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 06:39:39 pm »
Well we came home a little lighter in the wallet! :o  ;D

Dead chuffed with it though, delivery in a couple of weeks, they're gonna put the loader on it, getting a rear spool(?) valve fitted, complete service & oil change, and also got a rear transport box & plough. We've never spent so much money ever in our life! Eek!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 07:15:06 pm »
Damn, I thought someone was selling one   ::)

Lucky you - enjoy!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 08:19:43 pm »
Congratulations, Millwood.  We'll look forward to hearing about it's adventures.  (Or is it a she?  Will you name it?) (Sorry, name her?)

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 01:18:30 pm »
Well done!

We've got an MF135, and it's an ideal small tractor.

It's got better hydraulics and is generally more modern than the grey fergie, and ours has nice features such as power steering and a pick-up hitch, but it's also nice and compact with an excellent turning circle, while being powerful enough for jobs such as topping fields etc.

As said by others, don't overload the front loader - they can turn over!

John

ser3dan

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 05:41:40 pm »
I can only echo everyone elses sentiments! The MF135 is a great tractor - it's the ubiquitous tractor that I think everyone associates with farms, and was more of a development of the grey Fergy, MF35, MF35X than something that came straight off the drawing board so is a known quantity.
I'm immensely jealous of course, but need to buy our own place instead of renting before I start looking for tractors!  :D

waterhouse

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 11:55:27 pm »
Totally agree

travis

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 11:35:11 am »
I just bought a 135 and am totally delighted with it. I'm sure it will outlast any of the modern compacts, and hold its value, and its much more satisfying to drive.

nick-in-ca

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 06:47:12 am »
have one and the and the tires filled with calcium ( salty water) or it would freeze here i Canada   

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS