Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ground cover plant for a shady bank... suggestions please  (Read 3369 times)

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
Ground cover plant for a shady bank... suggestions please
« on: October 13, 2011, 06:49:11 am »
I have a shady angled bank approx 16m x 1m that runs behind a building sitting at a 90 degree angle (roughly) ... I would like to plant the bank.
Can anyone suggest a good plant for this? It does get some sun for a couple of hours per day.

Something that ground covers like aubretia but that requires less sun. Also a plant thats roots stabilise the ground would be good.

Grateful for any advice, thanks in advance
Metal Detectorist

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: Ground cover plant for a shady bank... suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 09:37:37 am »
Hi - You can get some interesting ivies with different coloured and shaped leaves, and although there are no flowers it would be  nice to look at all year round and should really help with stabilizing.  Are you sure you mean 90 degrees?  That is one heck of a steep bank.  :o
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 11:51:41 am »
Is 90 degrees not vertical?

Anyway, what about Vinca (Periwinkle) - you get a large leaf one and a small leaf one (Vinca  major and Vinca minor, I think). Has nice blue flowers and spreads like mad.

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 11:58:50 am »
Hi - You can get some interesting ivies with different coloured and shaped leaves, and although there are no flowers it would be  nice to look at all year round and should really help with stabilizing.  Are you sure you mean 90 degrees?  That is one heck of a steep bank.  :o

Sorry mean't 45 degree slope (back corner of the area I dug out was 90!!

Thanks for the info
Metal Detectorist

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 09:37:44 am »
Purple bugle, lilly of the valley, or better still wild garlic , decorative and delicious.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS