Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: looking after your animals  (Read 11582 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: looking after your animals
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 08:47:08 pm »
Harris's are what are generally recommended for beginners.  I think your Dad is giving you sound advice, young Jack.  Go to a falconry centre and learn how to look after the birds as well as how to fly them.  Their weight is crucial and is extremely finely balanced.  I was talking to a friend of mine today who has one of my pups (Ha ha -some pup, she's 3 now) and he works her with three B's o P - he is going to take me out for a day when the new  season starts, hopefully with my young dog if I get him trained up enough beforehand.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jackle23

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 06:42:13 pm »
Thanks have found a local(!) falcon flyer club thing and im going to a zoo on monday to see if they need help for saturdays looking after the birds of prey.

jack

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 09:45:26 pm »
I feel so proud...the boy is becoming a man! Always listen to your parents jackle23, they may seem like a pain in the ass, but they have your best interests at heart. Mark Twain said something like...When I was 18 my parents knew nothing, by the time I was 21, they sure had learned alot!

My mum used to have a sign that said.. Teenagers , while you still know everything, go out, get a job, find a flat, pay your own bills and feed yourself!

:farmer:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2009, 11:04:14 pm »
I have a badge that my kids gave me - Mother knows best!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 11:07:08 pm »
I'm 38 and I still find her advice good....ya' can't beat the few years of extra experience. She used always say, you went to university, I went to the university of life! How right she is!
  :farmer:

jackle23

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 08:12:09 pm »
Any laws concerning these hawks before I get one?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 09:41:45 pm »
Your local Falconry Club will keep you right on that, Jackie

jackle23

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 11:47:34 am »
Rejected by local Zoo too many internships already

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2009, 02:36:51 pm »
Join the falconry club then - if no pocket money left ask Mum & Dad to advance your next birthday present.  I'm sure they'll think it worthwhile, I would.  I'm glad you can't have a gun, to be honest!

jackle23

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2009, 09:03:21 pm »
in the search for natural hunting i find hunting with another animal is the most natural.Today i watched a bird of prey fly after somthing and it was great just watching it.

Jack

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2009, 12:28:08 am »
I have seen wild Buzzards watching my dogs run in the fields then following them to see if they put any littel animals up - then they dive bomb and catch them.  It's fascinating!

jackle23

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2009, 09:16:16 pm »
Local(!)falconry center 3 hours away but ill still go should be good.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2009, 11:29:35 pm »
What's the significance of 23?

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2009, 12:19:44 am »
My OH is very keen on Falconry- he has a falconry experience to use at the moment. He also is desperate to get a barn owl since we heard that they are more indangered these days. I have a friend who has worked with most B of P- but she lives in Denmark! However jackle23, she did start off her experience with her local falconry centre (it was Cupar Deer Park, who had/have a falconry section).

Beth

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2009, 10:10:18 pm »
One of my pups is owned by a falconer - he's going to take me out with Breagh an the birds when the seasons starts.  Really looking forward to it, but I won't be adding a B o P to my brood - enough is enough! ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS