Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: spuds  (Read 7340 times)

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
spuds
« on: February 22, 2009, 06:29:27 pm »
too early to put them in yet??

i've decided to start some off today, put them into those container/grow bags, only filled the containers about a qtr and will add more compost as the plants grow

I've put the bags into my tunnel just now, so hopefully they'll be warm enough

gonna start the rest in 2-3 weeks in the raised bed

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: spuds
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 08:41:25 pm »
I've started four pots with Mayan Gold, about a 1/4 full to be topped up. I did have on my list to put in Anya but I'm going to wait until next weekend - meanwhile I'm going to cover the area with black plastic to warm it up.

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 06:52:17 pm »
I planted my first ever potatoes yesterday. I had an old dustbin with no lid so my husband drilled some holes in it. I put about a third compost in and will top up as they grow. It is on the patio near an outbuilding so that I can drag it in there if frost threatens. I thought I would do another one in two weeks. Hopefully I will have my allotment patch ready soon. This is an area that I had pigs on last year. I have bought 10 tonnes of soil as it is on a slope that it mainly stone and I want to errect a poly tunnel soon as growing conditions are not easy here. Can't wait to get growing!
Karen

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 09:17:52 am »
I tried the council bin method late last summer and they didn't do well. The weather was horrible, probably too wet. I also  wondered if they got enough light in the bins. Mine do best in the ground, but I might give it another go in maybe just one bin just to see if it's worth it. I'll try carrots and radishes in flatter containers this year. :&>

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 09:19:07 am »
Northfifeduckling

you can tilt your bin up to be south facing so the leaves get the light. ::)

i'm trying carrots and parsnips indoors a 9in pot just now, getting an early start on them, will get around to sowing some more outdoors in a month or so.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 07:25:23 pm »
I sowed some carrots in pots at the weekend. I've never done that before - hopefully we'll get some nice early ones

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 08:03:11 pm »
my parsnips have just pop their heads out in the last few hours  :)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 12:26:28 pm »
my spud didnt do good last year either, to much rain i put it down to, Will be doing to same as usually but am gona put the tub on bricks to help with drainage as they where sitting on wet land last year, I need to get new soil for tub first which relays on hubby carrying things for me.

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 01:29:19 pm »
I did have on my list to put in Anya but I'm going to wait until next weekend - meanwhile I'm going to cover the area with black plastic to warm it up.

I planted Anya last year (on Easter day) straight into veg patch. Normal "salad" packs brought from Sainsbury's on a two for one offer !! Tasted fantastic and a very good crop - but that could be the racehorse poo  ;D

I also started early potatoes in the greenhouse planted in plastic feed sacks, gradually rolling the bag up as they grew while adding more compost. Ok they don't look pretty, but once outside I tucked them behind the hot boxes out of sight  ;)

Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 02:13:28 pm »

I also started early potatoes in the greenhouse planted in plastic feed sacks, gradually rolling the bag up as they grew while adding more compost. Ok they don't look pretty, but once outside I tucked them behind the hot boxes out of sight  ;)

[/quote]

That's a great idea  ;D , I had been concerned about using my BIG plastic barrels because of the lack of light that would've reached the emerging sprouts - but I've tonnes of empty compost sacks lying about - I knew there would be a use for them eventually!

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 06:38:52 pm »
well, the tatties in the containers in the polytunnel are doing well, i've got the first sign of greenery popping through - so i'll be keeping a watch over them to add compost and get teh bag filled.

i'll need to remember this thread so i can remember when i put them in!!!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 06:49:38 pm »
And I was so proud of my rhubarb peeking through without me doing anything lol. The seeds are a bit shy...I'm glad other people also use non-seed potatoes! If we do have problems they are the same as with "real" seed potatoes. I must say we did have a superb crop in the ground, they were enormous although during the winter a bit waterlogged and so nice that slugs had found their way inside. Still, quite a few to eat for us (I keep on finding some!) :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS