Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Another sheep problem - time for the vet?  (Read 10953 times)

Corrie Dhu

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Another sheep problem - time for the vet?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 09:01:34 pm »
No way is that sheep scab. 

It looks like a shearing nick the flies have been bothering which has now healing up as the flies aren't as bad, it should have been treated when it happened with something like terrymycin spray on it, and some thing to prevent the flies bothering it, like crovect or vetrazyne.  Sheep can get nicks when they are shorn but if you treat them they heal very quickly. 

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 03:57:25 pm »
Urm....I can shear, I have seen loads of nicks....and I would beg to differ :-\
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 05:25:24 pm »
Thank you all - well it wasn't sheep scab (vet checked) and others still show no sign, so most likely just a kick or a scrap - when the shearer came I didn't get a chance to check them over after (off up the field faster than a lion) so I first noticed quite a while after as she always seems to stand the other way from me - even if I walk around her - When we did catch them up I did use crovect and she wasn't bother by me doing that but as you say the damage is done. I am now checking 2 times a day and now an again she uses her back leg to scratch but it's slowly getting better so I think/hope this saga is almost over. As she really hates being caught up and gets a bit stressed I am tempting with a bit of feed to have a look rather than actually messing with her - thank you all for your input - an A4 book of pictures would be good of all sheep 'nasties' - could be 'sheep nasties for beginners'
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 08:58:47 pm »
The TV Vet Sheep Book is still one of the best books, IM(nv)HO.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 01:29:50 pm »
Thank you Sally - I have Practical sheep keeping which has good info but the pictures aren't very good so ordered that off ebay - can't have too many books!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 05:50:16 pm »
Thank goodness that's sorted, and it wasn't scab.  I keep forgetting when I go into the steading to check the ingredients on the pot of ointment-but I will!
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS