Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Another sheep problem - time for the vet?  (Read 10950 times)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Another sheep problem - time for the vet?
« on: September 01, 2011, 09:41:23 am »
I have one ewe with a skin problem (I think) can anyone tell me which direction I should go in.

Background - they were sheered quite last but were in very good health, no signs anywhere of any issues. Not criticising the sheerer but they did get the odd nick (that I saw) but all seemed fine. About a month later I noticed a bald patch on one ewe's neck but being the very timid one it took me a couple of day to get everyone penned for a check. I've posted pics at http://www.clarebailey.com/Jacob.html so they would be a bit larger than the forum allows in case it helps.
Now it doesn't look very nice on the pictures, most of the skin is fine but she keeps rubbing the sore/scrapped bits saying that on a check this morning there is no sign of anything raw. Have we got something nasty here, I had been treating everyone for nasties and work hard to keep them in good nick and this is worrying me. None of the other ewes or lambs have anything wrong - thanks for reading
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Another sheep problem - time for the vet?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 10:38:16 am »
Hi Claire,  I does look a bit nasty, I think I would get the vet to check this one out.  It looks more than just an itch.  Good luck.
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 10:43:04 am »
Sorry, I meant to say, if it turns out to be nothing nasty, then something old fashioned like zinc and castor oil cream/ointment would probably work to heal it.  We use that quite a bit on animals as it's harmless and doesn't sting, so they tend not to try and get it off.  We also have a pot of brown stuff, made up by the pharmacist which we use too, in cases that are slow to respond i.e sweet itch sores and if you want I can see if I can read the label!
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 11:30:48 am »
Thank you mmu - It would be interesting to see what was in the cream you use. I saw told sudocrem was quite good for things have you used that - I've just been up to check on them and taken another pic which shows it's not so angry today and if she looked bothered I would call the vet immediately - she looks fine in herself and runs up for feed - you know where I'm coming from
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

cairnhill

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 11:35:37 am »
Try Sudocrem Claire, its great stuff.  If it doesn't improve or gets worse then call the vet. 

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 11:40:31 am »
Also in the medical kit for the goats is Flowers of Sulphur which I read somewhere can be made up with sudocreme and can cure just about anything or am I reading rubbish?

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 11:57:24 am »
2 things.....it could be where she is putting her head through and rubbing.....but could possibly be sheep scab which could come from the shearers shears if not cleaned between flocks....
I would ask vet to take a scrape and then once identified treat appropriately!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 01:14:37 pm »
Yep, that was my thinking! I'd isolate the ewe now, it might not be too late, just in case, and clean up any bits and pieces from the wound.  Don't want to worry you, but you don't want it in your whole flock.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 02:05:08 pm »
2 things.....it could be where she is putting her head through and rubbing.....but could possibly be sheep scab which could come from the shearers shears if not cleaned between flocks....
I would ask vet to take a scrape and then once identified treat appropriately!

I agree with this  :sheep:  It will be cheaper if you can take her to the vet rather than him coming to you.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 12:14:23 pm »
How do you protect against scab in your flock, dip or inject? We use Dectomax and a jag of that if available would sort out scab.

Dermasol (bought from horsey places) is also very good for helping sore bits mend, and I use the blue Terramycin foot spray to good effect often too.

Pushing her head through somewhere sharp to get to something tasty also occurred to me, given where the scrape is.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 09:40:08 pm »
 It looks very like sheep scab to me. So rather than take her to the vet and have tests done, it would be as cheap to treat all your sheep for scab anyway. You don't have to dip. You can inject them  with such as Dectomax, which only requires one injection and will treat them for internal parasites as well. However you must treat all your sheep and any others they may have been in contact with. The open wound should clear up on its own once the sheep stops scratching but it'll help to treat with any of the remedies mentioned.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 10:40:24 pm »
I heard there was a big shortage of the scab jab stuff this year so well done if you get some! Would only take it to the vets if the vets dont have sheep themselves, mine does....on question, do you have to do a movement doc there and one back again, assume you do?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 06:01:38 am »
No movement forms for trips to the vet needed. Counts as emergency.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 11:31:37 am »
I can't tell if its scab from the pictures.

I'd treat them all as a precautionary measure and give it the blue spray to help it heal.

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 04:20:22 pm »
 It looks a lot like a shearing nick, probably no bigger than a scratch at the time. The flys have started on it and made it itch and where it is she can scratch it with a back foot or her horn. This keeps the wound open and attracts more flys so it gets worse, catch 22 if you like. Stockholm or angel tar is the best because it makes a barrier to stop the flys and help protect her from itching it. Failing that you can get tar in a spray can now that is good. Probably come ok now due to the time of year and the fly numbers are dropping back.
It isn't sheep scab. That starts on the ribs normally but some times on the back legs. You'll see wool pull and discolouration of the wool before you start seeing raw flesh. Easy way to tell if it is sheep scab is to give a little scratch with a finger nail and the sheep will start wriggling with the pleasure like a horse being given a scratch on it's withers, that and the fact that the skin thinkens and goes like the worst case of dandruff you can imagine. Another pointer is with sheep scab if one sheep has scabs like this then the whole flock will be itching constantly because it is so contageous.
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS