Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vegetarian recipe ideas PLEASE  (Read 8273 times)

Sandy

Vegetarian recipe ideas PLEASE
« on: September 01, 2011, 09:30:25 am »
I am having a friend for an evening meal, nothing formal just a lightish thing, but they are vegitarian. I eat load of veg myself but now not sure what to make thats 1 Simple as I have guests staying in the B&B 2 Quickish 3 Nice

I was considering Veg Lasagne as I have made and liked that before but wondered if some one came up with some better idea...not sure if they eat fish so better aviod that!

HappyHippy

Re: Vegetarian recipe ideas PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 10:20:50 am »
Tomato & basil tart is nice (you can add mozzarella if you like it too) and soooo easy  ;)
Just get a block of puff pastry & roll it out, spread some pesto over it (but not right to the edges) and layer some sliced tomatoes & a bit of chopped basil (you can leave it off if you want - I'm a bit of a basil junkie  ;)), brush the edges with milk or beaten egg and chuck it in the oven for about 20 minutes - brill with a lovely big salad, or make wee individual ones for a starter.
My sister has been veggie for 25 years (stopped eating meat when she was 7) and she lives on chunky soups & stews - chuck in all the veg you've got laying around, some stock (veggie of course  ;)) a couple of cans of tomatoes and some herbs and leave to simmer. You can buy veggie suet and make dumplings to go in them - really easy, here's how:
2 oz of veggie suet
4 oz of self raising flour
salt & pepper
dried herbs (I usually use parsley & chives)
Put all the ingredients in a bowl and add just enough water to bind.
Using WET hands form balls of mix (about ping pong ball size) and drop into the soup/stew, 20-25 minutes later they're done  :yum: :yum: :yum:
Another one (but not good for diets) is baked camembert  :yum:
Get the cheese in it's little wooden box, stick in a selection of fresh herbs (Rosemary is good) a drizzle of olive oil and some sliced garlic, pop it in the oven for around 20 minutes and serve with chunks of bread for dipping and a big salad (to take away some of the guilt  :-\ ;)) A friend of mine makes it using maple syrup instead of the herbs and says it's great - but I've not tried it yet.
Anne's here staying just now, so once she gets up (no kids and still enjoys the luxury of a long lie  ::)) I'll ask if she knows any others and let you know.
HTH
Karen  :wave:

Sandy

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 10:46:24 am »
THose sound scrummy, I love big leafy salads so any of them would be great, I also thought of a vegie curry or lasagne but I have no idea if they like curry and also I dare not ask as I know they will not want to put me to any bother. I want to give them a meal and maybe add a bit of a meat dish for her husband, I even thought of good old veggi haggis neeps and tatties! I love Veggi Haggis!!!!

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 11:27:16 am »
We had helpXers staying, Rafael used to make the most divine Spanish Tortilla. Lots of eggs beaten, add what you like (traditionally chopped up cooked potato) and cook it in a small, deep frying pan. Quick, easy and gorgeous. Great way to use up eggs, too.  :wave:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 01:00:46 pm »
Why not just a spanish omelette with salad?   Suits everyone.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 08:42:35 pm »
I have been looking on the web and think the tart looks good for a start, I cannot stand at the cooker as I have guests arriving and they will be clashing with my friends more than likely. I got a wonderful hostess trolly so that will be handy to store stuff. Is only something very informal but I need to catch up on some family chat so not going to spend a lot of time in the kitchen....

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 10:01:05 pm »
Another idea is a Delia one, Mozarella Pasta Penne. very simple and sounds dull but mm the toasted mozz on top is yum!

Get a lot of dried penne pasta and cook it in boiling water but stop before its cooked completely.

Layer it in an over dish with layers of tinned tomatoes (chopped, good quality ones) and mozarella slices. Finish on top with slices of the mozzarella. Bake in a med-hot oven for about 30 mins or until the mozarella has gone all golden brown and toasty. You can add fresh basil to garnish if you are feeling posh.

Also excellent cold and heated up next day!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 10:04:35 pm »
I am an omnivore and love meat but also love vegetarian food.

Some of my favourite veggie meals include:

Greek salad.  Cucumber, thick half-slices; tomatoes cut into 6 or 8 pieces; onions halved and sliced; a few black olives; a bit of lemon juice if you like; drench in really good olive oil, sprinkle with small cubes of feta cheese (or homemade 'colummier' cheese if you have it  :yum:) and black pepper if you like.

Pasta.  Onions and any fry-able fresh veg (pepper, courgette, fennel - almost anything will go!, garlic is nice, and/or ginger), stir or flash fry.  You can add halved cherry tomatoes and cook covered for 10-15 mins till the sauce reduces if you like.  Meanwhile cook pasta, drain, drizzle with good olive oil, lemon juice and black pepper.  And/or a basil pesto.  If you didn't use tomatoes, or like creamy sauces anyway, dollop some sour cream or yoghurt or creme fraiche on top of the stir fry, mix, and serve on top of the pasta.  If you have fresh herbs they'll go nicely on top or added with the sour cream (or at the end of the tomato-cooking time if you used tomatoes but not cream.)

Posh pasta.  Fry or roast sliced mushrooms & sliced red peppers using lots of olive oil.  Cook pasta - penne or fusilli is good, but you could use any type.  Meanwhile fry some cashew nuts and pumpkin seeds till the cashews are browning and the pumpkin seeds puff up.  Mix basil pesto with the drained pasta.  Layer pasta, then mush+pep, then cashew+seeds, repeat till all combined on plate or in serving bowl.

Spicy chick pea stew.  Soak chick peas (unless using tinned) as necessary - usually overnight.  Fry onions, any other veg you fancy diced or sliced (peppers, carrots, beetroot, any kind of squash, fennel, whatever you fancy!), don't let any of it go soggy.  Crush some cumin, coriander and cardomum, fry with the veg for a minute or two until you can smell the cumin frying.  Add chopped tinnned tomatoes and the soaked chick peas.  Add stock or water if it doesn't seem wet enough, bring to the boil then cook very slowly all day.  

Homity pie.  Fry some onion till soft, boil or saute some potato cubes till just soft, combine these with some butter, a very little milk, a bit of grated cheese, a good helping of crushed garlic and some parsley.  Let this cool then spread into a pastry case (I usually bake this blind beforehand, Cranks don't), sprinkle a bit more grated cheese on top, cook in a very hot oven till bubbling and golden.  This is pretty much direct from Cranks, see http://www.cranks.co.uk/recipes for more of their scrummy veggie recipes.

Spanish Tortilla / omelette as others have suggested.  Mine has potato as the main ingredient and any other veg I fancy adding, always onions.  Cheese - just a very little - on top.

Souffle.  Cheese is my favourite.  Delia's (Cookery Course book) recipe works - my, it's impressive when it comes out of the oven!  I like it with roast or sauted potatoes and a simple green salad or lightly steamed green beans or courgettes.

Thanks for the question, Sandy - I haven't had souffle or homity pie for ages and that's reminded me how much I like them!

Edited because I forgot the pesto in the pasta recipes!   :dunce:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 10:30:23 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Sandy

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 10:17:12 pm »
May have a try at ALL of them  :wave:

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 09:32:11 am »
Broccolli and Stilton quiche, new potatoes, green salad.

I'm a sucker for a good quiche. There, I said it.  :o  ;D
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 09:46:16 am »

I'm a sucker for a good quiche. There, I said it.  :o  ;D

But... Real Men ...  ;) :D

As you say, a good quiche.  Not so easy to come by, eh?  I hardly ever order quiche when I'm out as I can hardly bear to eat soggy wet pastry topped by a kind of eggy curds and whey.  But a properly made quiche, with crispy dry pastry under a just set savoury egg custard - wow.   :yum:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Sandy

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 11:56:02 am »
My real man LOVEs quiche.....I need to think quick as now we are so packed with B&B guests for the night I am entertaining...it always happens like it, if I want to go anywhere or have people round we get busy,  but we have to have the trade when its around!!!!!! I thought I had sprained my wrist yesterday as I went to open my front door and as I was in a hurry, tripped over the mat and put my arm out to save me from falling into my stained glass panel in the front door....alls fine this morning, just a bit tricky to reverse and open doors.....so will it be quiche, tart, curry, Lasagne or something else...then of course puddding, well that IS easy!!! Thanks 

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 06:47:06 pm »
Fried halloumi in a tomato and basil sauce (either make the sauce before and reheat or cheat...did I just say that...and buy a jar) with wild rice and roast veg

Wild mushroom and pine nut tagliatelle (fry mushrooms in butter, add herbs and pinenuts, a dollop of cream..or Crème fraîche and mix into tagliatelle cooked with a little broccoli) serve with garlic bread or tear and share and a green salad

« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 06:53:07 pm by Skirza »

Sandy

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 05:45:40 pm »
Skirza, thats sound wonderful, just roasting some peppers, Aubragine, Butter nut squash, leaks and going to add that to some chopped toms with garlic, softened onions and herbs, basil, Orig?, Tarragon and some veggie stock cube, the only thing I have not got is cornflour, I shall nip over the road as I will build my Lasagne tomorrow morning, bought some Mozzerela and veggie chedder too and will most probably have a selection of veg as I have loads, Brochi, Cauli, Carrots and baby new spuds....Think I will just buy a pud as I am sure they will be very full!!

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 06:22:21 pm »
HFW has gone all vegetarian and is bringing out a vegetarian recipe book on 19th September.

You can get early bird copies at reduced price from The Guardian bookshop here: http://www.guardianbookshop.co.uk/BerteShopWeb/viewProduct.do?ISBN=9781408812129

There were a load of recipes from it in todays colour mag:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/aug/05/borlotti-runner-french-bean-recipes

and some really interesting jam recipes:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/sep/02/vegetable-jam-recipes-hugh-fearnley-whittingstall

We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS