Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Safe tree branches for goats?  (Read 53106 times)

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: Safe tree branches for goats?
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2011, 05:08:12 pm »
I found out recently that Acers (of the maple family are also poisonous) they are now common in gardens because of their brilliant foliage. Luckily we found out before we grazed a driveway verge that had been planted with  twin rows of them (deciduos and no shiney leaf)
Ian

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2011, 08:46:14 pm »
Elder? that's as in tree that grows elderberries isn't it? off to pick a load today for wine and before I give the goats some branches, thought I better check!!

Mine refuse to eat elder branches - don't know why.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2011, 10:53:32 pm »
I was told not to give much, if any, elder, either gives them scours or bungs em up can't remember which way ::)

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2011, 03:33:10 pm »
I've also been told not to give too much elder. A bit's fine.

local yokel

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2011, 09:35:30 pm »
I'm sure I've read somewhere that some evergreens are OK for goats. The article (wish I could remember where I read it!) said that it was a good winter feed and helped control parasites. I had understood that fir trees can be slightly toxic - yew of course is deadly. After reading this article I picked up some branches blown down from a Scots pine and nervously threw them in for the goats. They ate it like it was chocolate! I waited to rush them to the vet but they were fine. I give them a bit now and then in winter as a change but I've stuck to Scots pine and never dared use any other one.
Has anyone else tried any other type?
And thankyou for suggesting ivy - I thought that was poisonous - and rose bay willow herb. I've tons of both!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2011, 06:49:35 am »
Ivy in small quantities seems to be ok - one or two strands.
My goats will eat a bit of pine too. Again, I suspect it's ok in small amounts. The things to avoid are things like laurel, rhododendron and so on.

My lazy husband who seems not to understand that gates have latches for a reason, allowed the goats into the beck garden yesterday. They've completely trashed the apple and the twisted Hazel. Fortunately they've left the evergreens alone (and I got there in time to prevent a goat kid jumping over the wall into the road)  ::)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2011, 06:44:16 pm »
I have one like that (husband who doesn't understand gates / livestock)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2011, 11:55:09 pm »
I'm sure I've read somewhere that some evergreens are OK for goats. The article (wish I could remember where I read it!) said that it was a good winter feed and helped control parasites. I had understood that fir trees can be slightly toxic - yew of course is deadly. After reading this article I picked up some branches blown down from a Scots pine and nervously threw them in for the goats. They ate it like it was chocolate! I waited to rush them to the vet but they were fine. I give them a bit now and then in winter as a change but I've stuck to Scots pine and never dared use any other one.
Has anyone else tried any other type?
And thankyou for suggesting ivy - I thought that was poisonous - and rose bay willow herb. I've tons of both!

I think some evergreens in small quantities you can get away with. Certainly our goats have snatched mouthfuls of leylandii on the way past, and it has never done any harm. But personally, I would try and avoid them eating evergreens.

Beth

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2011, 12:27:02 am »
Mine also eat all of the above, including beech and elder.  Lime and chestnut (sweet and horse) are particular favourites and they are munching some ash at the moment.

:goat:

llamakevin

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Bideford, North Devon
    • Ashwood Llamas
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2011, 08:41:40 pm »
I read somewhere that Xmas trees, after they have had their day in the house, are OK - we have given ours to both our goats and llamas, and they have been enjoyed!

Both prefer to eat the bark rather than the needles!
@llamakevin based in North Devon - have you found us on facebook yet?

https://www.facebook.com/Ashwoodllamas

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2018, 08:03:48 pm »
Does anyone have experience of goats eating birch?

Also wild rose?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 08:12:14 pm by mojocafa »
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2018, 08:17:35 pm »
Following on from above.

I am about to chop down several spruce trees.  The branches are to go through a chipper. Could these chips be kept to supplement goats in winter or not?
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2018, 10:05:45 pm »
Birch and wild roses are fine :-)   :tree:

Not sure about spruce. Mine liked scots pine.

Was surprised to read a previous comment about beech: if read it was fine and fed mine about 4 ton bags of dried beech leaves twigs and thrived.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2018, 10:22:51 pm »
Following on from above.

I am about to chop down several spruce trees.  The branches are to go through a chipper. Could these chips be kept to supplement goats in winter or not?

I wouldn't.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2018, 11:24:22 pm »
Following on from above.

I wouldn't.

Nor would I.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS