Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Safe tree branches for goats?  (Read 53115 times)

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: Safe tree branches for goats?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 08:14:12 pm »
The problem we had with feeding beech was about 14 years or more ago so the memory becomes hazy with the details. We definitely had one, possibly 2 fatalities and some poorly goats, although not all affected to the same degree. I know the goats were housed at the time and they had beech prunings from a garden in the village. It may have been copper beech which I understand is a variant on the normal beech rather than a different species. I did quite a bit of research at the time and was absolutely convinced that the beech was the issue, although I also hadn't expected it to be an issue. It is certainly possible to find reports of beech toxicity in cattle and horses and the thinking is the main poisonous agent is oxalates (same as rhubarb leaves). Beech is also known to contain small amounts of cyanide and saponins although probably not in large enough quantities to normally be an issue, as well as tanins. Some thoughts I have is that it may be that more ornamental varieties may differ in the amount of these toxins. The beech our goats may have been quite dry and old leaves which would increase the proportion of toxins. Sometimes different climatic conditions and different soil conditions can also affect toxin production in plants and beech is not common in naturally occurring woodland in our area. My last thought is that our goats at the time almost certainly only had hay/straw, some sort of commercial food, and the beech trimmings. They probably ate a large proportion of their diet on that day or two as beech, whereas if they have access to a hedge they may eat a bit and then move onto something else - in that sort of situation I have seen goats eat rhododendron and other plants that are indisputably poisonous and actually come to no home, as the poison is diluted by the other food they eat.
Certainly it's been interesting to hear other people's experience with beech, but we have avoided it ever since.

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 11:00:35 pm »
Be carefull with raspberry family as too much can cause abortion ( especially with women ).

Thats why they tell you to drink raspberry leaf tea in labour it causes uterine contractions
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 07:11:59 pm »
The boys munched away on acorns today, Ive only just read that they could be a problem. Does anyone have any info on this please? They really seemed to enjoy them, even Toby.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 06:44:43 am »
Only pigs can eat acorns safely..... I would not let my goats near acorns.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 03:30:33 pm »
Okay Wytsend, thanks for that. Ill make sure that the acorns are taken off any branches they have from now on.

Mary.

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2011, 11:01:51 pm »
I'd like to thank everyone for adding to this thread - it has given me confidence to feed the girls branches for which they are very grateful, as am I x

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 11:14:10 pm »

Our two girls have pretty much decimated our willow trees. They also have a passion for brambles and thistles.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2011, 06:56:06 pm »
Hi
may I suggest a couple of websites? I have found them very useful when in doubt, (now I have them combined and printed outfor ready ref.) but I have to admit, my girls sometimes grab a bite of things they shouldn't, and OK so far, I suppose the odd nibble in a tummyful we may get away with. but I nearly lost a goat when she ate rhododendren branches a neighbour threw out, after a sleepless night and hefty vets bill we did survive.
fiascofarm.com/goats/poisonousplants.htm
http://kinne.net/poi-list.htm (had to go to a cached page to re-find this one)

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 01:27:40 pm »
Great thread!  Can I just add a warning about wild privet, which we have a lot of around our house and we nearly lost 2 goats who ate it.  Luckily they survived but it was close.  It doesn't have the laburnam type shiny leaves so I hadn't given it a thought and it looks a bit like elder at first glance.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2011, 03:47:58 pm »
We've got wild privet and one of the goats snatched a mouthful the other day on a walk. Fortunately she'd also been eating loads of other stuff so came to no harm. I can't cut the whole hedge down but can make sure they go past it without munching!

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2011, 08:45:14 am »

Our two girls have merrily munched their way through the small willows that a previous owner had planted to try and drain the soggier parts of our land. They've pretty much stripped a small fir tree, too. They love eating thistles and brambles, too.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2011, 08:55:40 am »
No evergreen trees or bushes (esp Yew which can kill immediately and there is no antidote), lots of prickly stuff and fruit trees, willow and elder - must try oak, haven't tried that!
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2011, 09:22:35 am »
Elder? that's as in tree that grows elderberries isn't it? off to pick a load today for wine and before I give the goats some branches, thought I better check!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2011, 11:11:12 am »
Plumbseverywhere, Dont confuse elder, (elderflower wine etc) with Alder (bigger tree grows neer water and has small cones the size of acorns on it.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2011, 12:01:57 pm »
Interesting bit about OAK

Acorns are poisonous to goats...BUT...  oak leaves, particularly new shoots are very useful to scouring goats..... it is a natural astringent and will often stop scouring where over eating has been the cause.   

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS