Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Let the dream begin!  (Read 2783 times)

arborexplora

• Joined Jul 2011
  • County Durham
Let the dream begin!
« on: August 23, 2011, 11:29:59 am »
Very excited as my parents get the keys to their dream home on Friday. Located in County Durham, 3 bed farmhouse with 11.5 acres and outbuildings. Chicks and ducks already hatched and in brooders. I think I will be spending more time visiting the parents than I have done in years. Wish us luck with the move  :wave:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Let the dream begin!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 11:43:10 am »
Good luck, just down A19 from you in North Yorkshire south of Middlesbrough.
Hope all gets settled in andwe don't have too hard a winter.
Will have piglets next spring if you're interested.
Mandy  :wave: :pig:

arborexplora

• Joined Jul 2011
  • County Durham
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 11:51:47 am »
Thanks Mandy, I'll let them settle in first but we have been talking about home rearing some pigs for the table. I've been looking into it a bit and think we might eventually go for a couple of OSB. What do you breed?

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 12:09:27 pm »
GOS which are really great for beginners, but there are a few OSB breeders your neck of the woods, see how you go.
best mandy  :pig:

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 01:10:19 pm »
Congratulations to you all - How exciting - Enjoy every minute

I have kept various breeds of pigs, and have to say they were all lovely to keep, though my one and only batch of Iron Age/Wild Boar type were certainly livewires and escape artists, but still enjoyed keeping them

I generally go for Middlewhite or Berkshire now, and in that order, as I find the Middlewhite that bit better pork, but there is so little in it just go for the breed that appeals most, and don't get too attached  :-\

all the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 02:22:46 pm »
GOS which are really great for beginners, but there are a few OSB breeders your neck of the woods, see how you go.
best mandy  :pig:

I got my OSBs from a breeder in Co. Durham last year.  Give me a shout if/when you're ready, arborexplora, and I'll give you her details.

Meanwhile, good luck to you and your parents, keep us posted!   :wave:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 02:25:03 pm »
Have fun! And carry a notebook and pen to jot down all the things that pop into your head as you go around, otherwise you'll forget them.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 03:59:43 pm »
All the very best its a fantastic way of life  :wave:

Sandy

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 06:36:31 pm »
A dream come true, how ex cite ting. Hope everything goes great on the move and now rows ;) ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS