Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Magic Alpaca Moment  (Read 4263 times)

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
Magic Alpaca Moment
« on: August 22, 2011, 08:01:31 am »
This I needed to share although the tale will lose much in the description.

We have here a small and incredibly scruffy little Shropshire cross lamb who to put it mildly has had a hard life (bear with me the alpacas appear in a moment).  She belongs to a friend but for reasons that will become obvious I am very tempted to try and persuade him to part with her.  An orphaned lamb she was brought to us suffering badly from fly strike and not really expected to live.  Within two days she had recovered sufficiently to cause the meet and greet team of my two pointers to retreat back out of the barn.  Within three she had learnt to undo the latch to her pen and let herself out.

We moved her yesterday into the paddock where my stud alpaca Ranger and his friend Warrior are currently residing.  This morning because we have a poorly alpaca in one of the stalls in the barn I was out early to check on the invalid.  And was greeted by the sight of our posh male alpaca lying down in the straw with a small semi naked cross lamb snuggled up tight to him and clearly enjoying the benefits of advanced alpaca fleece.  There was then a single enquiring hmm from the invalid's stall and his head appeared over the top.

Moments like this make all the hard work so worth while.  And it appears that there are times when alpaca guarding goes further than seeing off predators!

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
Re: Magic Alpaca Moment
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 08:12:07 am »
oh bless thats lovely  :wave:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 08:33:37 am »
Wee soul - she's obviously a tough wee thing. I assume she'll be with you for the long run?  :sheep: :alpaca:

Maybe you could pass her off as a micro alpaca  ;D

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 11:10:03 am »
Awwww bless.    I've actually had the huge pleasure of not only meeting Fronhaul and OH but also a couple of those devine Alpacas :alpaca: AND the little lamb :sheep: in question.    I can just imagine the scene and Ohhhhhhhhhh what a lovely sight it must have been.   Well done Fronhaul.
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

scotelf

• Joined Aug 2010
  • West Lothian
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 03:18:43 pm »
Thanks, I have a lovely picture of them together in my head  :-*
Lynn :)

cairnhill

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 09:56:32 pm »
Priceless  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS