Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ATV,Quads Sorted.  (Read 17375 times)

SmallHolder

• Joined Feb 2009
ATV,Quads Sorted.
« on: February 17, 2009, 08:14:52 pm »
Removed to be re-written.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 10:38:33 pm by SmallHolder »

SmallHolder

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: ATV,Quads Sorted.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 09:05:45 pm »
removed to be re-written.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 10:39:00 pm by SmallHolder »

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 09:21:39 pm »
Well then, you certainly like your quads. We have a Honda 350ES fourtrax. Couple of issues - neither front or rear brakes work on the handlebars (although the pedal brake works) and every now and then the starter will not engage. You can start it with the pull start always.
If I either give it a quick pull on the pull start or go up the gears and down again (electric shift) I can get the electric start to work.
Presumably the pedal brake is meant to work independently of the handlebar brakes and they are simply worn out ?
What would be causing the starting problem ?

Cheers

Gavin

SmallHolder

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 09:36:44 pm »
Well What do your Brakes feel like when you pull the levers Back, Can you pull them Back Or are they Just really stiff? Electric Start could Be The Solenoid, But before you turn it off make Sure it is in Neutral, If it is not In Neutral then it could be your solenoid and you could Leave it to nearest repair shop/Dealer And ill try to find out what else it is.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 10:02:02 pm by SmallHolder »

SmallHolder

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 10:11:02 pm »
Also, i done some Research and someone came up with this:

Sounds like you need to inspect and adjust your brakes (each front wheel has 2 adjusters each and both need to be adjusted)

The starting issue sounds like the N sender needs to be checked.

The dealer should cover all of that.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 10:02:42 pm by SmallHolder »

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 09:24:19 pm »
Thanks Mr Smallholder. I might as well pop it up to Cathcarts in Enniskillen to sort the lot out, rarely have time to get the spanners dirty these days.
Cheers

Gavin

SmallHolder

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 10:34:44 pm »
No Problem, Glad to Help  ;D

Julie S

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 04:44:56 pm »
Can I just say - I have had 2 Honda quads (400cc and 500cc) both new bikes and BOTH have had dreadful problems. Last one broke down 3 times in the space of a year despite only having done 120 hours.

Needless to say I would never ever touch a Honda quad bike again  :(
200 sheep, 4 pigs, 2 donkeys, 1 shetland pony, 12 cats and a bunch of gruesome chickens

SmallHolder

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 11:19:41 pm »
I have to update this - Be Prepared.

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 03:33:17 pm »
If you like the quad bike idea but want something a bit more rugged, have a look at:

http://www.goldoni.com/Livello.jsp?idFamiglia=20

Sorry it's in Italian but use the links and you will get an idea what these little alpine tractors can do. I bought one 2 years ago and it suits me very well. The low centre of gravity and fat tyres means it's very stable. The tyres give a low ground pressure so it doesn't get bogged down or cause big ruts on newly turned ground. It has a PTO for a mower or other attachments and a category 1 three point hitch. It can be registered for road use but it's top speed is about 15mph!

The engine is an air cooled twin cylinder diesel so it runs on red diesel very happily. But it's very noisy - I wear ear defenders when using it.
I bought it from a company in Essex called BSG but their web site os off-line for some reason at present. However, there are several suppliers in the UK for advice and parts.

The other reason I bought is is because I have to put all my equipment, plants, fertilizer etc. in a horse box I use to transport them to my field when I want to work there. The field is in open country and I can't lave anything there. As it's air cooled, the tractor only weighs 600kg. So I can put it in the horse box along with attachments and keep under the trailer's maximum weight (3500kg).

NN

Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

Gordon M

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 08:15:02 pm »
Yes,
I have the same problem, nowhere to store my equipment at the field. I use the Yamaha Grizzly 660 and have a 7' x 6' harrow, a Wessex AF120 flair mower, a 5' x 3' stock trailer and a ballast roller. All have to be ferried to the land in the back of my van one at a time when required.
I can't recommend the Grizzly enough, it's a real workhorse (and bonkers fun when there are no animals in the field!) It never gets stuck and can pull almost half a ton and a damned sight cheaper than a ompact tractor and almost as flexible. Time I got the brakes sorted out though, the disks are almost paper thin, a job I keep putting off, the brakes still work but only just.
I think I'll ask Santa for a new set of disks and pads for it as well as a new agricultural shed, a polytunnel, a new chainsaw, a 1000 gallon water butt, a wind turbine a pig ark and piggies, and,,,,and,,,,and,,,,,

Cheers,

Gordon.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS