Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sour crop ???  (Read 2659 times)

crosser

• Joined Apr 2010
sour crop ???
« on: August 13, 2011, 10:17:11 am »
ive got a poorly hen with i think sour crop....  she had a huge soft lump on her chest which is quite squidgy, ive read up and done the massaging twice a day and ive also given her cod liver oil....  her head seems to be tilting to one side and twitching and shes not very active and not eating or drinking..  shes been like this for a few days now.. but the squidgy lump does seem to be going down..  do i give her any longer or is it time to cull her? oh and shes a pekin bantam....  many thanks

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: sour crop ???
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 10:47:05 am »
If the squidgy lump is going down I'd give her a bit longer.

I have held mine upside down before now and massaged some of the 'stuff' out - a disgusting job but it seems to make them more comfortable.

Then you need to think how it happened. Too much long grass? Insufficient grit?

crosser

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 10:49:32 am »
i tried to make her get rid of some of it but she wouldnt be sick,,  my grandson thought it would be a good idea to give her some bread when i was cleaning the ducks and she scoffed the lot so im pretty sure thats the cause....  i will give her abit longer and see how she goes this afternoon...  thanks again for your advice..

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 10:58:02 am »
poor girl
It sounds like you're doing everything you can, I hope she recovers.
Little Blue

DJ_Chook

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Mid Wales
  • Chicken mad, nothing else just chickens.
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 11:38:41 am »
I've had a few cases of this in my table birds. Tried various treatments such as olive oil, massages, crop emptying, maggots, live yoghurt. The birds didn't seem overly bothered by such a massive, soft & squidgy crop. I did slaughter them within a week (and ate them).

However I did have a layer that developed sour crop, I tried everything but it didn't work. I stopped the procedure of emptying her crop as she was finding it too distressing. A few days later she keeled over & died while eating breakfast. A black, horrid smelling sludged poured out of her mouth.

If I had another layer with sour crop I'd probably treat it for a week, see how she was, if she wasn't any better and was going downhill then I would dispatch her before it got too unpleasant for both of us.
Chicken nutter extraordinaire.

Mel

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 09:50:03 am »
I had one last week with sour crop,made her sick-and she was very much so,took her indoors,gave her layers mash mixed with cod liver oil and cold black tea with glucose in it...a trick told to me by a gamekeeper,next day she was up running around as if nothing happened.I was rather amazed at this but it worked for me.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS