Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice needed about my ewe  (Read 2982 times)

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
Advice needed about my ewe
« on: February 17, 2009, 06:45:28 pm »
hi any ideas would be welcome.
one of my ewes started rubbing her neck, last week, on the cherry trees in the paddock. Today i came home to notice she has taken all the wool off on two patches on either side of her neck. the skin underneath looks pink and intact, there is no evidence of lesions (eg ringworm) i cant see any beasties, it feels rather warm to the touch -but it is very warm today!..... none of the others are like this. They are getting hay, grass, and one of the high energy tubs....she is the least fat of the five ewes....my local sheep-man reckoned that she may be carrying twins. But she is not due untill early April.
what can it be????????????????? :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
Emma
ps will be trying to get my man to check her out, but thought you may come up with some ideas meantime
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Advice needed about my ewe
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 08:37:52 pm »
Could be hormones, when mares are pregnant they can scratch all winter. I remember been driven mad when I was carrying my children and spent many an evening rubbing arms and legs. Just a thought.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: Advice needed about my ewe
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 01:27:07 pm »
.............never rule out scrapie.....

They tend to rub a lot, worry and wander aimlessly, pick at food, worry other sheep,fidget and often it can show itself when under stress....i e in lamb.

We had one about 20 odd years ago and once everything else had been ruled out this was what was suspected and confirmed.

I doubt this is the problem but............
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS