Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ratte Potato  (Read 4719 times)

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Ratte Potato
« on: February 16, 2009, 07:56:25 pm »
Anyone grown these before?  I've googled like a demon and can't find out when to plant them. Conflicting descriptions from a few sellars,some saying plant late March,others not saying when to plant but to harvest Mid-August and another saying 101-110 days from planting to harvest. Sheesh,they've been around for centuries,you'd think someone would have it sorted by now!! So....... suggestions on a postcard please........ Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Ratte Potato
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 11:49:46 pm »
What are they?  Another variety of tattie or something else? Sorry to seem daft but never heard of them so can't help.  Curious though :-)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

rustyme

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 01:09:38 am »
http://www.heritage-potatoes.co.uk/shop.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_9&products_id=16

good picture and description of them on the link above Annie !!! They taste nice too. I have grown them a couple of times  Ree , and I think ??? I grew them as maincrop . It was a loooong time ago now though !!!  You may be able to grow them as second earlies , but I really can't remember now. Sorry I can't help any more mate , I must have grown 50+ different spuds to date , and they tend to get a bit mixed up in my head now ... ::) Good luck with them anyway ...

cheers

Russ

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 08:46:12 am »
Thanks Russ,was counting on you for this one! Guess I'll plant at the beginning of March as I've had black plastic covering the plot all winter,and hope for the best.
I bought a tray of 100 seed potatos from Point Vert,4 different varieties..... Ratte,Rosabelle,Charlotte and Samba for less than 10 euros,never grown any of these varieties before. Will report back when I've lifted them. Thanks again........... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS