Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep tags and flock number  (Read 12046 times)

Dundonald hens

• Joined Aug 2010
Sheep tags and flock number
« on: August 10, 2011, 08:38:58 pm »
Hi there folks can anyone help !
I have 2 lambs that are growing dail to go for the freezer I bought them as orphans and they do not have ear tags !!
First can i use the heard number of my pigs on there tags ? or dom i need to get a flock number ? and secondly what tags do i need to take them for slaughter
thanks

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
Re: Sheep tags and flock number
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 08:52:42 pm »
They should have been tagged before you bought them. The person you got them from is at fault.

You will need to obtain a sheep flock number - you cannot use your pig herd number.

You will need to get a red electronic slaughter tag which must have your flock number on it. You also need to keep a flock record book listing exactly what sheep you have, and tracing all movements of ovines on and off your holding.

It MUST be a red tag.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Dundonald hens

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 09:02:11 pm »
Thanks Is it the same proces as getting a herd number for the pigs ?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 09:34:32 pm »
You will need to get a red electronic slaughter tag which must have your flock number on it. It MUST be a red tag.

Errr... I think the elecronic slaughter tag is yellow.  Red is a replacement isn't it?

And I am pretty sure that in England you are allowed to use a single non-electronic tag if you want as it's going off before it's 12 months old.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 09:36:20 pm »
Yep in england all you need is a red replacement non EID Tag - slaughter by 12 months.
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Dundonald hens

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 09:49:33 pm »
Yep in england all you need is a red replacement non EID Tag - slaughter by 12 months.

That would be great if I was in England but I am in Scotland and proud !!
SFS wheres my solar calcularor you promised me ??

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 10:02:16 pm »
Technically although they have never had tags I think it should be a red tag for a replacement tag because they won't be on their holding of birth?  And a single for slaughter instead of a double for breeding sheep?

I get so confused by all this.  I have one show sheep with a single black tag because she is also id'd by bolus.  And then I have several missing tags which should in due course be replaced by red ones if I ever get round to it - and then there were the ones I took away in my pocket because the weather was all wrong for tagging that I am finally going to sort out tomorrow when I have washed the Jacob ram.  Why aren't there more than 24 hours in a day grrrrr

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 09:05:23 am »
Abso-bloomin-lutely.  And I think you said you had 70 sheep, Fronhaul?  That's not a small number, but if you multiply that up for all the sheep farmers and keepers in the country - that's a lot of frustration and irritation taking up time and energy that would be better spent on real work that would genuinely improve the welfare of the national flock.

I know, I know, it's the same old bleat that every occupation bleats about its regulatory burden - but it seemed topical just when we need all our police officers on the street ...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 09:46:39 am »
It's best in such instances to contact your local trading standards officer - they know these things happen and are willing to help set it straight - don't see them as people who are trying to 'catch' you out.  That way you have the correct advice from the authority and the best way forward. 
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 12:04:02 pm »
Would it be possible to go back to the person you bought the lambs from and ask for electronic tags for them?  They should have supplied them for you when you got the animals. They will also have the appropriate applicator.  In Scotland you need an electronic tag for slaughter before 12 months, but double tags beyond that time.
If you have to get your own red replacement tags you will need your flock number first because it goes on the tags - as you have a pig number it should be quick for them to issue the sheep one.  You will also be issued with a pad of movement docs which you will need to take your animals to the slaughterhouse - can't move them without. (you should have got one for your records when you bought the lambs from the breeder) For us it's Hamilton and they are very friendly and helpful so just get on the phone to them.  You will also be issued with a flock record book which you will need to backdate to cover when you bought the lambs.
Hope they're tasty  :yum:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 02:51:05 pm »
Agree with fleecewife (nice to see you back fleece!).....maybe the people you bought them from could come and do it for you - each supplier of tags has their own applicator to do the job and there are quite a few different types (the applicator 'couples' the tag) and they don't do a different suppliers tags.  Applicators cost around £10 give or take and if you order tags, make sure you get enough to do you a while, not just the amount you need, it works out cheaper that way.  Our local farm supply shop does it all for us (we provided our smallholding number / our flock number etc) but you can probably do it a bit cheaper on line. Red tape eh.... ::)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 03:13:56 pm »
I would def ask the previous owners; they will know jolly well that every sheep needs a tag and they wont want the risk of a knock on the door. So it's in their interests to get things in order!

I can understand people getting the tags slightly wrong these days (with the complex system) but to not tag at all for sheep you are selling is a pretty poor show on their part.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 05:41:19 pm »
Technically although they have never had tags I think it should be a red tag for a replacement tag because they won't be on their holding of birth?  And a single for slaughter instead of a double for breeding sheep?

Correct.

We ALL know that this whole tagging lark is a total farce, but at the end of the day, if someone is asking for advice, you have to give them the correct information.

A red replacement slaughter tag will cost very little  - probably less hassle than chasing up the person the lamb came from. Its a good idea to have a flock number anyway.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

waterhouse

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 11:59:53 pm »
Anyone following the discussions that the NSA is having with HMG and the EU knows that this total farce is deadly serious. The legislation allows no provision for errors in tagging, so I'd get them looking legal ASAP.

You must also have a flock movements book which is downloadable from Defra. At least try to get the CPH number from the birth holding

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 09:50:23 am »
The more I think about this one the more I think you need official advice, if you can't get tags from the original breeder of your lambs.  When you use replacement (red) tags, you have to cross-reference to their original numbers in your flock management book - and of course if you never had original tags for them you can't do that. Presumably the original breeder will never have put these lambs through his books so they would be untraceable (traceability is the whole point of the tagging system) if you can't get tags with his flock number on.  So although it's a drag to chase him up, it's very much in his best interests to supply you with the correct tags. If not you need to contact your local office of SGRPID Scottish Gov Rural Payments and Inspection Dept - local offices are listed online.  But try to get original tags first, so you are not the one doing things wrongly.

Technically although they have never had tags I think it should be a red tag for a replacement tag because they won't be on their holding of birth?  And a single for slaughter instead of a double for breeding sheep?

Correct.

We ALL know that this whole tagging lark is a total farce, but at the end of the day, if someone is asking for advice, you have to give them the correct information.

A red replacement slaughter tag will cost very little  - probably less hassle than chasing up the person the lamb came from. Its a good idea to have a flock number anyway.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS