Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep tags and flock number  (Read 12057 times)

robert waddell

Re: Sheep tags and flock number
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 11:35:32 am »
fleecewife is very correct in what she has said        gone are the days when you can just do as you like         no slaughter house will take your lambs  without tags            would you just not be better doing a home kill  thats them finnished end of story no grief to you the original breeder or anybody else     learn from your mistake and hopefully others will as well  :farmer:

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 01:20:08 pm »
I agree with ROBERT this would be the easiest way out of this problem. TAGS are only one part of the problem the paper trail is more important, i can see two ways both needing to speak to the original owners  1 if you got a movement document when you bought them but no tags then phone and get there flock numbers buy red tags put in lambs then cross ref in holding register.  2  if you got no document then the owner needs to supply tags and a movement document to transfer ownership, you then need to fax/email/send the white copy to samu with in 3 days keep the yellow copy in your records along with a copy of any invoice/receipt then record the movement in your holding register. :sheep: :sheep:

waterhouse

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 12:13:14 am »
...but the movement thingy is supposed to be despatched within 36 hours or something.

I'd be inclined to ring the scottish equivalent of trading standards anonymously and judge the attitude. If it's all getting a bit legal sounding I'd run for cover.  But I bet this won't be the first time it's happened, and nothing has actually gone wrong.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2011, 10:34:59 am »
Be careful of some of the advice you are being given here.  I would definately get onto your local officer, admit there has been an error and get the correct advice to sort it out (and their name too).  Building up a good relationship with your area officer is a very positive thing to do - they know smallholders out there are making mistakes and they will help you set it right and it will be in your favour that you are trying to set the record straight.  They're not the enemy.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 10:39:51 am »
goosepimple may well be right - but do remember that by 'fessing up to the local officer you are also dobbing in the farmer who supplied the lambs without tags or movement papers in the first place.  I would recommend going back to the farmer first and asking for his/her suggestions.  Make it clear that you want to end up with everything above board and shipshape. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2011, 11:32:33 am »
I accept that this is Wales but I do have a good friend who used to work in this area so asked him what he would do.  His response was that he would like first to think that everything that could be done had been done to resolve the situation without matters getting too "official".  He would suggest firstly obtain a flock number.  No need at this stage to admit the sheep are already there.  While that is being allocated speak to the farmer concerned and see if a resolution can be reached that doesn't involve the local officer.  If the farmer isn't willing to help then the time has come to be frank with the local office and seek their help in resolving the situation.  The clear message he gives it that very few people at the local offices really want to get involved in enforcement action (there is always the odd exception) unless people are blatantly flouting the rules.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 09:09:13 pm »
...but the movement thingy is supposed to be despatched within 36 hours or something.

I'd be inclined to ring the scottish equivalent of trading standards anonymously and judge the attitude. If it's all getting a bit legal sounding I'd run for cover.  But I bet this won't be the first time it's happened, and nothing has actually gone wrong.
[  /quote]  IN an ideal world with in the three days but speaking to a friend who works at SAMU days/weeks/months late is common they would rather late than not at all

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS