Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: to sign in or not to sign in...that is the question  (Read 3399 times)

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
to sign in or not to sign in...that is the question
« on: August 09, 2011, 11:46:44 pm »
A member on another thread posted, in part:

... 88 guests at one time today and 5 members?  ... Increasingly folk seem to want to listen into the forum (under a cloak of invisibility) and react when they want under their 'name' or maybe a new one?

Why does this matter?  Explain please.

Sandy

Re: to sign in or not to sign in...that is the question
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 11:53:01 pm »
I am not bothered if people do not sign in, I just said I sometimes log out as I am so often logged in that I do not want people to know if I am out ;D......I also use FB and Twitter so if some one wants to steel my best jewels they will know when to break in!!!

I personaly cannot see a problem with so many guests, maybe people want to remain annon for other reasons!!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 12:19:53 am »
I always stay logged in on this forum.  I suppose some people do not want to join, but enjoy reading the posts .......

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 12:45:17 am »
I am always signed in cuz that's how my computer does it.  When I was a guest on this forum I read all the good stuff and loved it!  I didn't sign up until I had a question I just had to ask.

I am a member on another forum and I am not automatically signed in so I read the good stuff as a guest until there is something I feel I want to ask or respond to.

My question is...why is it bothersome that people stay on "guest" status?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 07:24:00 am »

Actually, a lot of the guests will be web-bots, trawling the forum for search engine info etc.  Nothing to worry about (but still a bit spooky eh?  ;))
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 07:57:30 am »
Womble's right, we're suffering a minor flood of spam registrations at the moment (about one a minute) so those guest numbers are a bit inflated.

We've had to suspend automatic registration and move to manual approval temporarily.  >:(

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 08:17:29 am »
I have to stay signed in cause I can never remember my password!  .... but, I do keep my security updated daily, and I don't play any of the Facebook games programs (worst offenders) . I only use the secure setting on FB. (https)
 Can we have that on here please?

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 10:14:08 am »
one of the guests is me sometimes :)
if i'm at work i can read the forum as a guest but if i log in it flags it as 'questionable internet usage'.
not that i would surf the interwebz at work of course, because that would be norty ;D
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 11:01:15 am »
one of the guests is me sometimes :)
if i'm at work i can read the forum as a guest but if i log in it flags it as 'questionable internet usage'.
not that i would surf the interwebz at work of course, because that would be norty ;D

How dare they list TASas "questionable internet usage"! It's educational  ;D

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 07:43:12 pm »
Its not really an issue more of an observation. It just seemed a bit sad to sit on the sidelines reading other peoples conversations rather than formaly joining up and joining in. I know sometimes we have nothing to say - other than maybe agreeing or learning. Prehaps the new site will allow that?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS