Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When can your breed(s) of sheep lamb?  (Read 4046 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
When can your breed(s) of sheep lamb?
« on: August 09, 2011, 09:24:41 am »
A few other threads have been highlighting that it is not just Dorsets who can lamb unseasonally.

I would love to find out from people actually doing it what months various breeds of sheep can produce lambs - and in what parts of the country /world.  I do mean naturally, not using sponges, AI etc.

Our earliest lamb ever was 4th Jan.  Texel on texel.  Our Charollais ewes and tups certainly start being interested in sex much earlier in the year than the Texel types but we haven't let them do anything about it so I can't say when they would have produced.  (Yet....  we still have the tups with the hoggs and a small number of ewes with lambs....  Must get them moved!)

We are in north Cumbria, about 20 miles from the Scottish border.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

robert waddell

Re: When can your breed(s) of sheep lamb?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 09:38:02 am »
hampshires can produce 2 lambings per year      that is one thing the society advertise    ours were born in dec 18th and 28 th     dont know about sponging they were in lamb when we bought them :sheep:

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 10:23:55 am »
When sponging hampshires beware if they don't get in lamb with that service, they are unlikely to get in lamb that year again. But they will produce again the following year. The sponging screws up their cycle for the year you use it.

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 10:28:04 am »
Portlands - as primatives do it all year round and wherever ::)

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 11:41:21 am »
Portlands and Dorsets (horns and polls - not downs) are the only breeds that will genuinely breed at ANY time of year. Other breeds are all affected by day length and seasonality to some extent, although it is more marked in the hill breeds.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 03:55:47 pm »
Jacob showing people usually time things so lambs arrive as early as possible in January.  That seems to hold true across the UK.

I have a breeding record of a Jacob ewe that lambed in October in Pembrokeshire.

And I now know White Welsh Mountain can happily lamb in August.  Father appears to be a badger faced ram and Mother and Daughter are doing well.  SW Wales again.

Black Welsh Mountain I was always told come into season later than their white cousins although if they are kept under lowland conditions I am not sure that this will still hold good.  Will check with one of the lowland breeders when I get the chance.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 04:00:59 pm »
To add another primitive to the list; I got the ram (Jacobs) in last year in March-April to service my Shetland ewes and had the last lamb born on 27th August.

mab

Corrie Dhu

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 09:19:46 pm »
I have had Feb, April (when they were meant to!), June, July, September and October lambs out of my Shetlands, Cheviot x Shetlands, Hebrideans and I also know of Soays up to the same nonsense.  I am in Perthshire.  We've eaten the escapologist tup now as he got into the whole ewe flock including my pure texel ewes the day before the tups went out last year and that was the nail in the coffin.  Before we ate him (he was under withdrawal for something) he managed a final fling with the ewe hoggs and produced 5 daughters just a few weeks ago.   ::)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 10:01:05 pm »
I don't know of Rough Fells lambing any earlier than March but the weather here is so foul that may just be good management on the shepherds' part. Certainly the ewes aren't interested in  Aug or really Sept, possibly Oct but we put tups in traditionally in bonfire night.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS