Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Milking a cow once a day.  (Read 13208 times)

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
Re: Milking a cow once a day.
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 10:55:08 pm »
We love you too! :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat:meeeeh!
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

herdsman

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 10:41:47 pm »
You can certainly milk once a day. The lactation will possibly be shorter and yield will be lower. The more you take milk from the udder the more she will produce to meet the demand. Many commercial farmers will milk once a day at the end of lactation to help to dry off. As said above some cows will hold milk back if she knows the calf will be along soon for his/her share. Just look out for mastitis at the beginning as this is the time most stress is on the udder. A calf suckling will often draw enough away to cure the mastitis if it is mild but if the quarter becomes swollen and hard best get a vet to check it. Udder mint massaged into the udder for a few minutes at milking time can ease a swollen udder particularly just after calving. Good luck with your cows I loved my job as a herdsman for 25 years but it really is a young mans job.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 10:45:06 pm »
I can't stand goat's anything.  It just tastes like goats smell. No disrespect to goat keepers or goats, personally
I can't say I smelt anything except fresh clean straw when I was over at Beth's to see the kids.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 10:52:46 pm »
Thanks Herdsman

We'll give it a go and let you all know how we get on.  We may take the calf off her when we bring them in for the winter and milk twice a day from then on.

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

farmmur

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 05:31:18 pm »
I milk a South Devon every morning.  The calf goes into a sectioned off part of the stable by itself at night, but he is beside his mother.  I milk every morning at 5AM then turn the calf out and they stay on pasture all day.  This works very well for me, I have never found a problem with it.  It also makes weaning go a little easier.

herdsman

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2009, 10:13:02 pm »
Crofter,
Just remember she will be giving quite a lot of milk if she is feeding the calf and you. Make sure she is getting enough concentrates. She needs enough feed for her plus about .4 kg cake(or equivalent dry food)for every litre she produces. Keep an eye on body condition. She is likely to lose some condition in the first 6 to 8 weeks post calving but then should start to put some on especially if you want her back in calf.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2009, 11:02:18 pm »
He milked once a day and left the calves with the cows - they actually made icecream. I wish I could remember the details.

So do I ! they're damn intelligent cows and calves, making ice cream and all  ;D all mine do is Moo!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist!

Morgan :farmer:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 08:30:32 pm »
Took you a while to spot that one  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS