Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Milking a cow once a day.  (Read 13207 times)

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
Milking a cow once a day.
« on: February 16, 2009, 02:41:26 pm »
We have a heifer (Star) who will calve later this year and as we do not want huge amounts of milk, or to bucket feed the calf, we thought we would try the "half milking" method.  Seperate the calf from the cow at night, milk the cow in the morning and then put the calf back on her for the rest of the day.  It sounds like the ideal solution, and some smallholding books suggest it, but I can't find anyone who's done it.  Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall failed spectacularly at this. :-\
Has anyone on TAS ever done this or seen it done?

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Milking a cow once a day.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 08:55:56 pm »
I saw a programme - I think, in fact I'm pretty sure it was "Jimmy's Farming Heroes!" - about a chap who had a herd of Devon cows (I'm really cross about this because I had an email about it and deleted it just last week). These were traditional dual purpose Devon cows as they woudl have been 50 / 60 years ago. He milked once a day and left the calves with the cows - they actually made icecream. I wish I could remember the details.

I'm sure thsi would work, once a day milking and leaving the calf on. Lets face it, how much milk do you need for the family compared to how much a cow produces?

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 11:23:34 pm »
Best of luck in trying it  :D.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 04:01:10 pm »
We've done it once or twice, but now milk twice a day and rear the calf on a bucket. Doing the once a day thing is good if you only have the time to milk once a day and it does mean that if for somereason you have to be away for a whole day, it is not th end of the world as you can simply leave the calf with the cow.

Drawbacks are that the cow will probably dry off quicker, the overall milk yeild will be lower, and you may find that the cow will not let the milk down for you - she knows perfectly well you are not her calf.

It didn't work for us in the long term, but it might for you. It is a good place to start.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Paul Sill

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 04:36:14 pm »
It was the South Devon cows on a farm near Exeter i think they are nicknamed orange elephants. I did enjoy that program.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 09:06:18 am »
Yes, that's it. I contacted the South Devon cattle society and they gave me the bloke's contact details. Must work for him if he does it commercially, I would have thought.

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 03:53:48 pm »
Thanks all.  She's not due til July so we'll give it a go then and keep you all posted.

Dave

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 07:46:29 pm »
Please do, i for one have had the same thoughts about getting a house cow. We did it with goats and it worked pretty well. I'd love to know if it works in with a cow. Thanks Emma.  :pig: :pig:

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 11:21:37 pm »
Will do Emma.  You all will be first to know when she calves.  It's her first.....and ours.....hmmmm maybe not a good combination!  Probably like a scaled up Goat though ???

Dave

Higgins11

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 06:59:15 pm »
This website has some information on milking goats once per day (scroll down about half way )
http://fiascofarm.com/goats/milking.htm

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 04:42:11 pm »
Very intresting site, thank you.  :D :D

Only prob I'm the only one in the house that will drink goats milk. >:( >:( >:(

Not to sure about the scaled up goat bit!! our goats use to jump on to the feed shed roof, dont thinK it would hold the wait of of cow!!! ??? ??? ;D ;D ;D ;D  When is she due?  :pig:

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 08:27:08 pm »
End of June/beginning of July.  She's a shorthorn/Angus cross and in calf to a shorthorn bull so the calf should not be too big.

Dave

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 08:27:59 pm »
Now I was trying to get that photo on another thread and could not do it!!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 08:31:42 pm »
Maybe you've shrunk it? 
I had never tried goats milk till Belle had her puppies last year.  Thought I'd try it before giving it to the pups.  It was deliciously creamy!  Now I buy it for a treat, as I usually drink The One
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 09:12:15 pm »
I can't stand goat's anything. Not even fudge and I've got a real sweet tooth. Milk, cheese, yogurt - I try it occasionally to see if I'm developed a taste for it but haven't yet. It just tastes like goats smell. No disrespect to goat keepers or goats, personally - I love you all.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS