Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Why is my lasagne always so sloppy?  (Read 27986 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Why is my lasagne always so sloppy?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 12:38:15 pm »
Hi Blueeyes.   :wave:

I haven't made any more lasagne since, no, but the one that I had previously frozen I have thawed and re-cooked and it was much better.  I do therefore think there's a lot to do with giving the sauce time to really soak into the pasta so am planning next time to try to cook it the day before (or in the morning of) the day I want it, then reheat when I want to eat it.  Of course that will never happen  :D so what I will try to do is be more patient and let the dish 'rest' for a good while before I dish up.  I am religious about letting meat rest - woe betide anyone who picks up the carving knife before my joint has relaxed!  - so I don't see why I wouldn't be equally conscientious about lasagne.

I'm not sure when all this will happen though - I made a pasta bake with fusilli and a bol sauce, cheese sauce & grated cheese on top (ie, same ingredients as lasagne, but curly pasta instead of sheets), and BH announced he likes that best.   ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Trefriw, near Llanrwst, Conwy
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 04:49:41 pm »
That sounds yummy Sally! :-)

Goldcraig

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Ayrshire
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 03:08:36 pm »
minimum 3 layers, only meat sauce between the layers and bechamel / cheese sauce on the top, bake uncovered and then the key stage....let it rest. The starch in the pasta will absorb he juices and "firm" the dish up. It can easily be left for 20 minutes on the side and will still be hot enough to eat.
Eating Lasange straight out the over only serves to tattoo the inside of your mouth, causing you to breath out of your nose and mouth at the same time !!! ;D....trust me, I'm a Chef ;)
Trust me.....I'm a Chef !!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS