Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Why is my lasagne always so sloppy?  (Read 28008 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Why is my lasagne always so sloppy?
« on: August 08, 2011, 09:42:09 am »
I make fabulous-tasting lasagne that looks brilliant when it comes out of the oven but I can never get the layers to stay, well, layered, when I serve it, so you end up with a gloopy glop on your plate.  Still tastes fabulous, but it is so disheartening!  (And means I can only do lasagne for people who know me very well!)

I've watched a friend making her lasagne and her ragu is sloppier than mine, and her white sauce runnier than mine - but her lasagne comes out just like one in a restaurant.  ???  

Are there any hints or tips people can give me?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Why is my lasagne always so sloppy?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 11:25:41 am »
I normally make lasagnes when i have left over spag bol and then freeze them for emergencies (and something to bung in the oven for an hour when we come home late from shows) and they do tend to become watery & sloppy after thawing and cooking, if you're going from fresh the only thing i can think of is that you're not putting enough sheets in to hold it together? as you say your mixtures aren't over runny when you make it. The only other thing i can suggest is to make individual one in rectangular pots and then nobody would know!! ;)
Mandy  :pig:

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Trefriw, near Llanrwst, Conwy
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 11:36:53 am »
When lasagne stays solid I feel the pasta isn't soft enough for my liking - alway much nicer when the sauce has properly soaked in it and it's cooked well. But then I never get any marks for presentation! x

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 01:24:42 am »
if you're going from fresh the only thing i can think of is that you're not putting enough sheets in to hold it together?

Aha.  So how many layers do people do?  I always make the ragu layers as thin as I think is possible, the white sauce layers really just an all-over dribble except the top one is more of a complete covering, just one sheet thick of lasagne sheet in between white sauce and ragu - and I hardly ever manage to fit in more than two layers of pasta.

The individual portions solution is looking like the only one so far!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 05:45:20 am »
Use at least 3 layers of pasta and then only meat sauce between the layers.  Then one final layer of white sauce on the top.

Let us know how you get on.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 07:41:11 am »
You are not pre-cooking the lasagne sheets are you - the dried sheets should absorb the water from the sauces and it all hold together though I prefer it a bit sloppy

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 09:12:00 am »
Aha.  Thanks folks - white sauce on top only, more pasta layers.  Will report back!  (Could be some time, I make a big 'un when I do one and we're still eating the current one.  The meat is venison mince with leftover home-cured gammon and it is absolutely scrumptious.  Just looks dreadful!)

And Simon O, over the years I have tried it both ways, pre-cooking the lasagne sheets and not.  This last one was not pre-cooking the sheets.

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 09:58:43 am »
I always find that if I let it cool down and then re-heat that it solidifies a bit.  I try to make mine first thing in the morning, have it sitting out and then put back in the oven to heat up for tea time.  Works a treat - no more lasagne soup for us ha ha

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 07:02:37 pm »
Somehow reheated lasagne or bolognaise or chilli for that matter, all taste better when reheated.

Why is that?

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 10:40:14 am »
Aha.  Leaving it to cool and then re-heat - more of the fluid will get absorbed into the pasta, huh?

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 11:26:49 am »
Don't cover the lasagne when cooking it, also leave it in the oven longer - this will dry it out no matter how much 'goo' you put in.

:yum:

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 12:02:30 pm »
I always make lasagne in batches and freeze them, they make great evening meals and are always that bit more solid as from when they were fresh

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 06:12:23 pm »
Thanks folks, I just bought some more lasagne sheets so will get some mince next week and have another bash.  I'll report back!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 10:14:56 pm »
I make 3 - 5 layers, depending on how much sauce I have. the pyrex bowl is a deep one, though  ;D. I also change the direction the sheets are pointing to, that seems to hold it together quite well , my mum taught me that ;) :&>

Blueeyes

• Joined Jul 2011
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 11:15:41 am »
Hi Sally any progress with your Lasagna? Just seen this link and was so excited you might have solved my problem too  ::)  my Lasagna apparently is totally scrummy and looks great in the Lasagna dish but when served it becomes a great pile of Lasagna mush and as you say still tastes great but doesn't look much like Lasagna!

If you've made more since all these tips, let us know how you got on please  ;D

Liking the idea of individual pots though, but I'm guessing cooking times etc would have to be altered?!?

Blueeyes xx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS