Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advise on security!!  (Read 3892 times)

Sandy

Advise on security!!
« on: August 04, 2011, 09:07:24 am »
Just need some assistance as I want to put an alarm on our front door that makes a noise when not shut too but goes off (quiet) when it is properly shut.

We often get the odd guest that leaves the front door not fully shut, that is P ing me off big time. I have several guests that have been here for a while and I think they all shut the door properly and understand BUT, the few we get for odd nights stay, go out and do not pull the door shut, this can and does happen when I go out with the dogs or durring the night!!!!!!

An added worry is across the road there are lots of young people who are dirrectly opposite and are outside most of the day and throughout the night (I know ::) ) so any of them would know when I am not in!!!! 

We cannot lock people in for many reasons, health and safety being one, any guest can open a door from the inside at night and any guest can activly let people in, I just want this limited!! If I am alone or do not want any entry it is easy as we have a heavy door the no one can get into!!!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Advise on security!!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 11:00:27 am »
Why not one of those door closers, they close the door slowly, I believe.

Sandy

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 11:23:42 am »
Your right Sylvia, there is one on the door already but it only shuts lightly and the yale lock needs a bit more of a push to shut it properly so its locked. I have seen some "door open" alarms that may he helpful, not 100% solution but would 1 make a noise to alert the person thats going out to shut it properly and 2 alert me if its left open If I am around.

THis is a large soundproof house and people can come in without my knowledge, at the moment our Large door is shut and locked so I am in my dressing gown and curlers ::) ::) ::) Off to get dressed!!!!!

Antz

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 01:25:41 pm »
Some of the door closers have adjustment screws so you can get the door to slam at the last second, maybe enough to close the Yale lock, you can also now get easy close locks but its an extra expense.

Sandy

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 02:51:50 pm »
Antz, I shall take a look. I just bought a window alarm and not sure if thats going to be OK as its ear pircing and I dare not try on the front door incase it does not go off...I put it on a cupboard and am just plucking up courage to try again.....our guest will not want to open the door at all!!!!!! guess I shall try something else as the door shutter gets it to the yale lock but no "click" ::)

jonkil

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 03:06:31 pm »
This may be the simplest solution Sandy... click HERE

However this one is more substantial ...click HERE

Either will do your job and notify you that the door/window is open. Hope this helps.

Jon

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 03:19:30 pm »
No amount of security equipment would sort what I did yesterday. Went out to have coffee with my daughter, exiting the side door and locking it, back door is always locked anyway, but I totally forgot I'd let the dogs out the front befroe I went out, and left it open as it was warm - it was that way for 2 and a half hours!  Mind you the dogs were in the kitchen, so if anyone HAD come in they'd have got a good telling off from two VERY noisy Brittanys! ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 04:43:03 pm »
jonkil, I have just bought the first one but the second looks more suitable!! I bought a pack of 2 from Argos and they were £9.99, so I have put one on our pantry door and it does not re set when you shut the door, you have to press the front so a bit of a faf for the front door with men in and out like one of those swiss clocks!! It also emits an ear piercing noise!!!!!! so I dare not try again.

My yale lock normal front door opens into a porch, IF I shut that door it locks as it is 300 year old strong door with a BIG LOCK, however, keys for that are???? up to £200 each and people would love to take them home!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO we keep that open when people are comming and going, many love the idea of nipping across the road for a drink and some stand outside to have a smoke, this can be in the middle of the night!!!! I shall work something better out as the second one looks ideal, thanks, I saw that one and thought it would suit, I was also thinking about a remote camera, there was one on the porch but disconneted by the previouse owner, my front door is a long way off our living room!!! THe men here at the moment are great, its the odd oldy like me that forgets to lock the door...see the old uns are vulnerable and leave doors open like doganjo......maybe we need a night porter  ::) ::)

Sandy

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 09:58:48 pm »
 ::) That B alarm keeps getting ME!!!! The chaps that are inn have noticed and will shut the door if found open...it one of us oldies def!!!!! poor sods, when we get old keys and locks pose problems.....I shall just rely on the back door then!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS