Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep lick Safe For Goats?  (Read 11722 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Sheep lick Safe For Goats?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 03:41:53 pm »
I'm not a goat person but I know a little about sheep & cattle feeds in my own area which may be useful.

Depending on your local supplier you may be able to get a dairy mix if you prefer a mix to nuts.  I feed Hillie, my Jersey, a mixture of the local supplier's 'Parlour Mix' (18% or 20%, can't remember) and their normal store beef mix (16%.)  Another local supplier also does a dairy mix, and one for store beef (16%.)

Around here, beef mixes will include copper, which is not present in sheep mixes as Texels can have a reaction to added copper.

The second supplier told me the only difference between their sheep mix and their beef store mix is the copper - which, if sheep mix is not safe for goats, may suggest that not all cattle feeds are okay for goats?

Feed suppliers must be able to supply a breakdown of their feeds as it is a requirement of Farm Assured and other certifications that the farmer can provide this.  If the supplier suppliers Farm Assured farms, they must be assured themselves and be able to provide this info to their farmer customers.  Normally the info is on the label on the bag or on the invoice, or both.

Hope that's of some help.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 09:07:30 pm »

I picked up a Baby Red Rockies 'brick' from the farm supplies last week that says it's safe for cattle, horses, deer and goats. It also says that it shouldn't be given to sheep because of the higher copper content. The goats seem to like it. I've fixed it higher up than the Kunes are likely to get at.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 09:15:53 pm »
thats what we use.  :)

Keep a close eye on it as it gets near the end, we find that they shift it out of its holder and onto the floor ... I suspect that our KK boar had a good old munch and it made him really poorly, when he was "maturing" in with the goats.
Little Blue

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 01:14:16 am »
Useful tip. I'll keep an eye on it and will probably make something more suitable for holding it.

Cheers
Gary

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS