Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep lick Safe For Goats?  (Read 11758 times)

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
Sheep lick Safe For Goats?
« on: August 03, 2011, 11:18:49 pm »

Is ordinary sheep lick OK for goats?

Just wondering whether our girls are getting all they should be and our local shop keeps this in stock.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Sheep lick Safe For Goats?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 08:28:17 am »
Don't know but Crystalyx does a Smallholder one that does sheep and goats (and cattle).

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 09:12:52 am »
probably not enough copper in a sheep lick for a goat.
does your store have horse licks?  the one I buy says on the front what its suitable for.

If not, ask them to get it for you - ours has to order in my pig feed, they dont stock it but always get it when I ask (on a Tuesday!)
Little Blue

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 09:17:23 am »
The only problem with licks of any kind is that you cannot know how much it is used by any 1 goat. 
Most licks slowly disappear with damp weather !!

Goats require the same amount of copper as a cow on a pro rata basis... sheep licks would not be any good in this situation.

If you feed cattle food, there is sufficient copper in there and then there is no guess work about intake.  Any basic 16 - 18% dairy nut/cake is sufficient,  much cheaper than any goat feed so a saving all round.  Even beef store nuts are better than nothing.

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 10:10:03 pm »

Useful info, as always, people. Thanks!

I've been feeding a sheep crunch/mix but will take a look at cattle feed as an alternative when I go over this weekend.

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 08:10:46 am »
Ambriel

Have you come across a company called Goat Nutrition? They have a website http://home.btconnect.com/gnltd/shop/products.htm which includes a powdered product called Caprivite. It provides a balance of minerals for goats and you just add a little to their food (slightly sticky foods Best).

We've used it for years and I know that they deliver stuff to us here (Outer Hebrides) very quickly.

We've used the red (copper) horse licks but, as Wytsend says, they disintegrate in damp weather even indoors.

Good luck

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 12:45:33 pm »
We always use the red rockies and drill a hole in the centre so we can hang u'm up, then you can see who's using them and how much.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 07:55:43 am »
I prefer to make sure the mineral intake is in the feed... otherwise you cannot be certain they have used the block.  At least my way, they can use the block as a top up.

Not all goats will accept Caprivite... realise this is odd when it is formulated for goats... but they are individuals same as us !!!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 09:47:23 am »
It took me ages to get my goats to accept caprivite, sprinkled onto their soaked sugarbeet, but now they are ok with it. Same with the garlic.

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 10:02:32 pm »

Thanks Dave, I'll take a look at the website.

Cheers
Gary

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 07:52:01 am »
Caprivite is excellent but why pay out for something that is already included in dairy nuts ?  When times are hard as now, common sense to me, says all money goes into feed and the best available.... dairy nuts.   They are cheaper than goat feed in the first place.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 01:10:23 pm »
Wytsend,
Is it just the bog standard dairy nuts you use, like can be bought at the agri centers, or something different?
Sounds to good to be true! If its the bog standard then I'm going to be saving a fortune when I switch!
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 01:46:53 pm »
As long as its Not sheep or Allstock nuts but Dairy Nuts
  Just tried to get a  leaflet From Countrywide for a  breakdown of their Dairy Nuts contects and they don't have one...you'd've thought with BSE and F&M it would be a requirement by law?

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 04:09:21 pm »
I just use the 'bog standard' dairy nut, 16% or 18%.... prefer the 18% for milkers.

I pay £6.90 per 25kg bag.   This is exactly the same nut that is used by the majority of dairy farms all over the UK... just branded differently.  The only difference is the farms have it delivered in bulk !!!!!!!

Some goats may resent a change from a coarse mix  so all I do is mix half & half ratio with Coarse calf mix  & hey presto they have their coarse mix with extra 'lumps' !    Gradually leave out the mix until the goats are on nuts alone.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 03:13:59 pm »
thankies  ;D

my goats wont care if it's course mix or not, though i will change it slowly any how. they are the least fussy goats i have ever known as long as i dont expect them to eat grass ::)
they ignore the grass and wait at the gate for me to turf them out onto the nettles and thistles!
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS