Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Greenhouse Veg  (Read 4010 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Greenhouse Veg
« on: August 02, 2011, 03:02:38 pm »
I think I have finally convinced OH that I should have a greenhouse - on the basis that I said I would buy it if he set it up for my birthday present - LOL I think I have the better deal as all that set up would be hard work!

Anyway, I have loads of questions - I did have a Greenhouse Hessayon book but can't find it  >:(
But - what kind of greenhouse is best - what do I need to look for in particular. . .

Is it possible to grow things all year round, and would I need some sort of heating - how to go about that . . .

What can I grow besides salad - what veg grows all year round etc? . . .

Quite excited now - I am planning a complete revamp in my garden as we took down 4 large leylandii and now have a large sunny open space, so I am thinking that I put the greenhouse there, move the veg beds to next to it so everything is more close together, and where the veg beds are now I can put the kids swing, since its mostly already covered in chipping etc.  . . .   ;D ;D ;D ;) ;)

Hi all - by the way, I haven't been on here in ages due to various work issues, but hoping to be back more :)

Paul Sill

• Joined Jan 2009
Re: Greenhouse Veg
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 05:52:40 pm »
Get the biggest one you can afford, it still wont be big enough!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 07:20:28 pm »
and yes, they are a swine to build!!
Little Blue

deniseg4

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 02:44:19 pm »
I love greenhouses, but I find they're just not big enough! (unless you can afford a lovely big one)  Have you considered a polytunnel?  I know they're not quite as pretty but you get so much more growing space for your money, and you'll def be able to grow all year round if you cloche the beds or section off an area to heat.  You can also make warm beds using fresh manure which keep your veggies snug all winter  ;)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 03:34:04 pm »
With everyone else here..the biggest greenhouse you can find space for.
Main options are one's that require foundations and those that get away with anchors or bases... then a decision around what you plan to grow and cost... options of safety glass or twinwall polycarbonate (if planning on heating it).

I made the mistake in my early day of heating my hotter house for the winter to really bring on orchids and citrus - figured I'd overdone it when the electricity board came round to check the meter was reading right... the most expensive UK lime at a £700 higher bill than usual for 3 mths!

If you can run power in there then your options get better... fans to keep it ventilated and distribute heat and you can manipulate day-length too - and work in there during dark winter evenings.

But be business like... i run mine just frost free now rather than higher temps but I do run a fan all year. Think winter salad greens - all sorts of leafy things you can pick/eat young and use it to get stuff started fro going under cloches later

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 10:44:48 pm »
Thanks for your advice  :)

I am still looking into it all - I can get quite a big one in the space so its costs thats more limiting. I do need it to be a greenhouse, permanent and quite attractive as it will be very visible in my garden.  :)

I am looking into ways of heating it too - there must be more economical ways than leccy - I was looking at maybe solar panels or a heatsink. Costly to set up but money saving in the long run ?!?!? :o

Any other good tips would be great ;D

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 11:09:08 pm »
Thanks for your advice  :)

I am still looking into it all - I can get quite a big one in the space so its costs thats more limiting. I do need it to be a greenhouse, permanent and quite attractive as it will be very visible in my garden.  :)

I am looking into ways of heating it too - there must be more economical ways than leccy - I was looking at maybe solar panels or a heatsink. Costly to set up but money saving in the long run ?!?!? :o

Any other good tips would be great ;D

It's cheaper to buy a larger greenhouse that needs a brick base than to buy a more robust free-standing type..so long as you can do the groundwork yourself.. see greenhouse direct for their 12x20feet+ range...
As for heating.. well i made that mistake (as I think i mentioned earlier)... heating the whole thing would be expensive.. so decide how much space really has to be heated and how heated it has to be. Running electricity depends on how far from the house and whether you are using poles or buried cable. Frankly solar panels aren't going to cut it for winter heating. If your that determined and deep pocketed enough then a way bigger system and mix of solar to give electricity for deep ground heat pumps might work out cheaper...but only on an industrial scale!
My approach (if my own plans go ahead) will be to keep frost at bay in my heated twinwall house house and avoid anything more tender. Perhaps use a soil waring cable run under one section for stuff that needs a  bit more help. In a bigger house I'd consider a partition. Otherwise it's cheaper to just buy the food and spend the money on something else. The second bigger house I plan will run cold with perhaps a boost in extreme conditions with a few paraffin heaters. I say a  few because the simple single burner ones can take a week of fuel on low flame and works out more practical than one big heater you top up every two days..and forget one night..

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS