Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hatching eggs  (Read 4679 times)

lula

• Joined Feb 2009
hatching eggs
« on: February 14, 2009, 10:28:49 pm »
help needed !!! i have been incubating some eggs for the first time ,they are 23 days old today ,one hatched yesterday and we thought the others had not made it ,but then today we heard cheaping in one on inspection, to our surprise !!! nothing has happened so someone said we should pip the air sack end which we did ,which we said we where going to leave it up to mother nature ,but its hard !!!! we dont know weather to just leave ,or help ,its just cheaping alot but not trying to get out ,any advice would be great !!!!

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: hatching eggs
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 11:09:13 pm »
Very difficult one this, do you or don't you help? . keep the temprature correct and maintain the higher humidity( don't keep opening up the incubator). if you can hear chirping then there is a live chick inside, however it does not mean this is definiely a strong healthy chick, or it might have got out already, onit's own. keep vigillant, if it is going to make it, it will start piping on it's own. however if the membrane has dried out a bit, it will be touger to break for the chick, and it might fail. if it starts to break through, keep watching, it may take hours and hours. if it is part way out it is tempting to help  bit. sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. if you do decide to help kep germs out of the incubator, and keep the heat and moisture in. good luck. don't be too upset if you fail, it has happened to all of us , ad will happen again.

lula

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 11:22:59 pm »
thank so much for your advice !! we have been told so many different things!! but until you are going though it for real, its so stressfull !!!!! chick still with us so hopefully will make it!! will keep you posted thanks again !!

lula

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 07:57:25 pm »
hiya,all went well ,chick arrived safely !! i can believe its so stressful!!!! thanks for all your help and advice ,im feeling much more confident ,and another 3 arrived one day after another ,just goes to show that they dont always arrive on time and be patient !!! thanks again x :) :chook:

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 10:28:58 pm »
great news, what breed are they?
i've just set some eggs in my inccy, first this year. so i will be a nervous parent in @17 days.
carl :D

lula

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 08:27:21 pm »
hiya, i hope all goes well !! ,its all so exciting !! i dont know what breed they are ,have been looking to see if we could identify them because we bought them from a farm that has cockeral running with them ,so was really hit and miss !!! they where blue/green eggs and the chicks are browny with black stripes ,they look like a cream legbar chick after serching the web ,but you never know !! also one of the chicks has feathery legs already !! does that mean anything ? what are you breeding ?  ::)

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 09:00:23 am »
whatever they are , and sound a bit like a legbar x , having coloured eggs is great. ( hopefully they are girls, i remember somewhere that legbars are auto sexing). I have in my inccy maran eggs, ixworth, salmon faverolle and ixworth x's. I want to add some dark brown eggs to my others, blues, greens, whites tinted etc. as my customers love the variety and they like to display them in their kitchens. I also want better utillity birds for meat as well as eggs. I have a few fancy birds as well, cochins and pekins which look nice wandering round the lawn, but don't earn their keep, so these may be sold or swapped.

rlucas

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 12:50:08 pm »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS