Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rehoming ponies - WHW Highland Ponies  (Read 5673 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Rehoming ponies - WHW Highland Ponies
« on: August 01, 2011, 08:30:44 am »
Got my World Horse Welfare magazine today. One article is about a preventative welfare operation in Dallas, Morayshire in volving nearly 100 Highland and Highland type ponies.

Anyway, gist is that many of these ponies will be coming available for sale soon- if you are interested in a native pony to work on your smallholding, this may be a good source.

Details will be put on the WHW website www.worldhorsewelfare.org

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Rehoming ponies - WHW Highland Ponies
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 09:06:50 am »
Will they be for sale Rosemary, normally WHW do loaning I thought? or do the numbers mean they have to be sold?

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 01:23:35 pm »
They are still owned by the farmer that WHW went to help as far as I know, so will be up for sale. This is the round-up, not sure if it's been posted before Largest preventative horse welfare operation in UK hailed a success

Dozens of horses to be helped through team effort

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 02:09:35 pm »
Chap down the road from us, Jock, helped out with the gathering with his western horses :-)) He always wears his stetson even in the Co-op!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 03:44:47 pm »
Beautiful animals. I have to say, apart from the inbreeding issue, which I guess would cause problems in the long run, they looked to be fit and healthy  :)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 11:12:04 am »
I would be worried about long term worm damage  :(

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 12:23:38 pm »
It is amazing how wild animals do survive things like worms. If you observe most animals they will hunt out what they need I know if any of mine are going for elder it normally means worming time is here as elder helps to naturally worm animals.

Horses have run in the wild for 100's of years and still survive as a species this is telling us they can actually survive without us pumping them full of chemicals.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 12:43:18 pm »
On 2000 acres worms are much less likely to be a problem than they are for pet horses and ponies kept on the same small patch of ground all the time. Also the other species kept will help to break the cycle as they ingest the worms but the horse worms cant survive inside them (and vice versa).

It is something to be aware of though just because they arent likely to have been wormed; a friend did have a welsh pony die from horrendous worm damage who was bought from the breeder off the hill, but in that case they werent really on the hill, and there was much greater overstocking. The New Forest people found that a once yearly worming at round up was the best balanced approach for the wild ponies there.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS