Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Starter Flock for Sale  (Read 4206 times)

jacquip

• Joined Apr 2011
Starter Flock for Sale
« on: July 28, 2011, 01:45:46 pm »
Am parting company with my sheepies due to management issues under the rules of the Premium Cattle Health Scheme I have joined.  So have for sale 5 registered shearling Lleyn ewes and one prizewinning registered coloured Ryeland ram.  Must all go together.  Photos and price on request alvecoteherd@btinternet.com
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 08:57:54 pm by jacquip »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Starter Flock for Sale
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 02:42:08 pm »
Am parting company with my sheepies due to management issues under the rules of the Premium Cattle Health Scheme I have joined. 

Side issue - what arethe issues? Just curious.

jacquip

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 08:55:20 pm »
When you join a health scheme you  have to adhere to the biosecurity guidelines laid down in the scheme (CHeCS).  Sheep are known carriers of BVD and although one might have healthy sheep you are not allowed for them to make contact with your cows either by grazing them together or permitting nose to nose contact and have to keep a 3 metre boundary between the species.  On a smallish acreage whilst not impossible it does add to your day to day problems.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 09:00:41 pm by jacquip »

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 09:54:01 pm »
Rough location would help potential buyers, just region would do, so people know if you are reachable from them?

jacquip

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 07:31:54 am »
Sorry, Ceredigion.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 08:14:41 pm »
When you join a health scheme you  have to adhere to the biosecurity guidelines laid down in the scheme (CHeCS).  Sheep are known carriers of BVD and although one might have healthy sheep you are not allowed for them to make contact with your cows either by grazing them together or permitting nose to nose contact and have to keep a 3 metre boundary between the species.  On a smallish acreage whilst not impossible it does add to your day to day problems.

I asked my vet about this - I have sheep and cattle grazing together, so was concerned. He says that the 3m is between cattle and cattle not sheep and cattle. New evidence is that sheep probably don't carry BVD. As he pointed out, Scotland has just intoduced a BVD eradication programme - that wouldn't work if Scottish farmers couldn't keep cattle and sheep together closer than 3m.

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 08:38:52 pm »
bvd =bovine viral diarrhoea     i will say again BOVINE       WTF did sheep come into the equation :farmer:

jacquip

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 10:40:05 am »
Eradication and Accreditation are two different things

'BVD virus (BVDV) is closely related to the viruses that cause classical swine fever in pigs and border disease in sheep.  In theory, sheep and deer, can be a source of infection for cattle, although sheep are at greater risk from cattle than vice versa.  There are other issues with L hardjo as well. L. Hardjo has been recovered from the urine of sheep, and one study has shown that cattle herds are more likely to be infected with leptospirosis if sheep are present on the farm. It is recommended that contact between cattle and sheep is kept to a minimum. As leptospira do not tolerate drying or exposure to sunlight, a rest period of two months after grazing by sheep or infected animals should make pasture safe for uninfected animals.'

The CHeCS rules are mandatory for herds in the Accreditation programmes.

16. Co-grazing with sheep or other domestic ruminants or camelids: Although not a mandatory requirement, it is strongly recommended that, wherever possible cattle and sheep do not graze together.

I don't have to sell my sheep so will not be parting with them for a silly price but on the other hand if one is going to enter into the spirit of Accreditation then I take the view that you should follow the scheme's recommendations - as it is costing me an arm and a leg.  Although I will be taking up the 3 metre boundary bit with our vet who seems to want to 'gold plate' everything.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 11:09:01 am by jacquip »

jacquip

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 07:03:05 pm »
Sheep now sold.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS